It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferretin (12) Normal Hemoglobin

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
    tonyinengland
    (male)

tonyinengland HB User
    Low Ferretin (12) Normal Hemoglobin

I,m male - 50. Following doctors appointment, i was given iron tablets. Dr didnt seem too concerned about levels but I understand the normal range is 50 to about 300 or so. Im at the bottom at 12 which is a shock. She will repeat blood in 1 Month.

Having googled which has made me worse with fear, there is so much conflicting information about this. In men, one article said that men are internally bleeding at this poor level, possibly with cancer or some other bleed. Im not aware of bleeding that is obvious.

My health history in last 5 Years. I had colonoscopy and gastroscopy 4 Years ago for poor disgestive issues. Nothing found so I was labelled IBS.

I am vegetarian but I do take various suppliments like multivits. I have cut out the small 75g asprin is was taking incase that had an affect.

Not sure i can do anything at the moment, but would love to hear of anyone elses experience with this.

Thanks

tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
    waterbee
    (female)

waterbee HB User
    Re: Low Ferretin (12) Normal Hemoglobin

im in the same situation, also veggie. i found out though i have a chronic virus that may be causing it called EBV. its taken a year to of prescription strength getting up from 8 to 19. my doc says the body drops ferritin as a defence when under attack from a virus to try and starve the virus out (as it feeds of it) not saying thats what you have, just wanting to give you some other thoughts. do you have any other symptoms aside from fatigue?

Old 02-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
    lowdownferritin
    (male)

lowdownferritin HB User

I have a similar story with low ferritin and normal Hemaglobin. I have used Ferramax 150 for the last couple of years with no improvement in ferritin levels. I am now looking into IV iron treatments, doctor seems hesitant ?

lowdown

Old 02-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hey there Tony, have you been able to find any answers with your doctor as yet?

I only just found out yesterday my ferritin has further dropped from 10 last year, down to 4 now. As we are doing other health care stuff right now my doctor has advised a multivitamin and iron rich dietary change for the next month to see if we can raise it a bit before looking at infusion/transfusion whichever one he said (sorry, he told me so much information yesterday that I can't remember everything ).

Try not to rely on Dr. Google as he tells you some nasty stories I hope you get answers soon!
    K.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User

Being a vegetarian can certainly make it a challenge to get enough iron. Are you athletic? That, too, uses up iron regularly. It's possible you don't have a bleed, but it wouldn't hurt to get things checked out. I'm female, 34, and just had two iron infusions with a ferritin of 27. Your low ferritin should cause more concern than what the doc is showing. I was told that it would take 12 months to a few years to build my ferritin to the optimum 100 from iron pills alone, which is why I got the infusion. Anyway, I would ask further, or seek the advice of a different doctor.

Reply Reply