It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

Low ferritin/higher heart rate/anxiety

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
RizkyM823
(female)

RizkyM823 HB User
Low ferritin/higher heart rate/anxiety

So I was having heart palpitations which would sometimes go up to 120bpm but usually doesn't go higher than 110. I saw my doctor and he ran some tests. My labs came back normal and so did my ekg and my chest X-ray. My ferritin levels however were at 13 so my doctor prescribed me iron supplements. So far they have helped with the fatigue and calmed down my head so now when it races it usually goes up to 100 and generally stay around 80-85 which I know is technically normal but not normal for me. Along with this my chest aches.

Long story short I also have anxiety. It's manageable but probably isn't helping the heart rate thing. I just ordered some Passion flower supplements. Has any one tried them? Did they have a sedative effect? Did they negatively affect your heart rate?

The Following User Says Thank You to RizkyM823 For This Useful Post:
norxonline (02-09-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
rico5000
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User
Re: Low ferritin/higher heart rate/anxiety

I can only speak to my own issues that may or may not be similar to yours. But I take Toprol XL for palpitations (extra heart beat) that is related to Mitral Valve Prolapse that I've had most or all of my life. And it helps. It's not a cure.

I've read that anemia can and often does cause this along with anxiety. I've had anxiety most of my life and take medication for it too. But the anxiety and heart beat problem were increased by the anemia. The iron seems to be helping both, although it's giving me constipation to some extent.

I don't know about the herb your mentioned but I try to be careful with those things because some of them can cause problems. They're not all safe with everyone. I've had some problems with a couple I tried in my lifetime.

I suggest you try mindfulness meditation. Fast heart rate and anxiety go together. One leads to the other. And you can hold your nose and hold your breath for 12 seconds and it should put your heart rate back to normal.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Old 02-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
MySunnyDaisy
(female)

MySunnyDaisy HB User

I never tried Passion flower supplements, but Chamomile tea has a sedative calming effect, it helps reduce anxiety and is very mild, you can buy it at your local grocery store, I love it.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
RizkyM823
(female)

RizkyM823 HB User

I do have some in my cupboard. I'm hoping that the Passion flower helps. I don't see why it would raise my heart rate since it's good for anxiety and insomnia. Nothing online tells me if it has a sedative effect and I saw twice were they mentioned higher heart rate but one mentioned that it was probably due to an allergic reaction.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
MySunnyDaisy
(female)

MySunnyDaisy HB User

I agree with Rico, some herbs can cause problems, the only one I trust is the chamomile I been drinking it for years and it really does have a calming effect. It even can help you sleep. Did the Dr. say your heart rate is abnormal? I have a high heart rate in the 90s and that is normal for me. Do you take any medications?

Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
RizkyM823
(female)

RizkyM823 HB User

It's abnormal for me and it uncomfortable since it also is hard beats sometimes and hot flashes. I'm not on any medications. Have been taking large doses of iron for the pst two weeks so hopefully that will go away soon.

My doctor isn't concerned since the rate doesn't usually get too high. Maximum is 125 and it doesn't usually stay there.

Last edited by RizkyM823; 02-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
MySunnyDaisy
(female)

MySunnyDaisy HB User

Iron deficiency can cause fast heart rate and chest pains. Like you, I have a very low ferritin level due to very heavy menstruation, but my CBC is normal. My EKG and heart blood tests were normal but like you have a very fast heart rate. I think it could be from having low iron but our hearts are fine. I sometimes will get a hot flash the week I have PMS, its very uncomfortable.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
KaLaUnlimited
(female)

KaLaUnlimited HB User

i am having similar symptoms to yours with an addition to an infection. I had some unsual symptoms like tremors and head pressure with a little dissociation. I was wondering do you notice very low fever as well?( coming from the ferritin). I had low iron early last year and had fever around 99.6 but nothing higher and went to normal after my levels when up. Same thing happen to me again late last year when my ferritin level drop.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
RizkyM823
(female)

RizkyM823 HB User

I've had hot flashes (and the top of my butt crack would sweat a lot, tmi I know. Lol) but my temp seems to be normal.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
RunrRdr
(female)

RunrRdr HB User

With a ferritin of 13, you should ask for an iron infusion or two. My ferritin was 27 and I was having horrible symptoms and I just completed two infusions which have been life savers. My head doesn't whoosh anymore, I can take a deep breath, my heart doesn't race, the dizziness is gone. From my understanding, one cannot raise ferritin from such a low level with oral iron supplements. You need more help than that. Wishing you the best!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hi there,

In my experience (my ferritin level has just dropped from 11 to 4 so I am awaiting an iron infusion), it can and does cause horrible palpitations. I at first thought it was my anxiety but it is not. My blood pressure has also raised quite significantly so I need to monitor it at home leading up to the infusion, and for a little while afterwards to see if there's a correlation before beginning any medication for it.

Best of luck!
K.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
32HOTROD
(male)

32HOTROD HB User

GOOGLE Afib, SOUND LIKE THAT'S YOUR HEART RATE PROBLEM. I Have Afib and the doctors put me on Toprol XL, it helped 80% and no side effects. I also have Anxiety which I take Ativan.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
MySunnyDaisy
(female)

MySunnyDaisy HB User

Hi KaLa

what was the cause of your low ferritin? I do recall feeling feverish when my ferritin was really low too but didn't associate the 2 at the time. I wonder if there is a connection to it. How did you get your iron level up?

Old 08-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
blufox
(female)

blufox HB User

I never associated my anxiety/tachycardia with low ferritin, and apparently, my doc never did either, as she tested everything but ferritin levels when I was having serious anxiety/heart palpitations over a year ago. It wasn't until my hair started falling out 3 months ago that I had my levels tested. Iron and hemoglobin normal, but ferritin only 9. My doc insists that it's within normal ranges but suggested I research iron supplements. After doing my own research I discovered that 9 is quite low. After a month of supplementing with lactoferrin, and taking Vit C with a meal of red meat every day (I also have too-low cholesterol, so meat is ok), my hair has stopped falling out and I am starting to feel better. I'm wondering how long I should wait to ask to have my levels tested again. My insurance doesn't consider a ferritin level of 9 to be below normal, so my doctor won't recommend infusions or frequent testing. I'll have to pay for it myself.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #15
rico5000
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User

I've had higher than usual blood pressure since I started the iron tablets. I didn't take one today but it's still high for me. Anyone else notice this? This heart flutters seem somewhat better lately. Not sure why but I'm glad. They were getting pretty bad. I did have a short session of them today.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Reply Reply