It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

Chronic Anemia?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
jlb5685
(female)

jlb5685 HB User
Chronic Anemia?

Hi everyone -

I'm a 32 year old female, other than 30 lbs or so heavier than I care to be due to the birth of my son last April, I feel I am in relatively good health. When I was pregnant, so the beginning of 2016, my OB doctor realized I was severely anemic. So much so that she was convinced I had been this way for a while unknowingly. I was anemic in early high school, when I was 15 or 16 and remember taking a round of the horrible iron pills and either I remained anemic over the years or it brought my levels back up for a time. I'm not sure because I've never been checked for it until last year.

Not only was I anemic but during my pregnancy I had a very high resting pulse rate and would regularly feel my heart racing doing absolutely nothing. This had not happened prior to pregnancy so I assumed it was the increased blood in my body coupled with the anemia.

I was referred to a cardiologist who found nothing wrong after several tests and was then referred to a hematologist. She ran my bloodwork and treated me as if I had the general iron deficiency anemia. I chose to have iron intravenously since I tried a few rounds of different iron pills and they make me horribly ill. I just cannot keep it down. I felt great initially after the first round of iron treatments.

After the birth of my son, I was again anemic. I visited the hematologist late last year and had another round (meaning 4-5 visits and liters) of the intravenous iron. The Dr said she had no reason yet to believe that I had anything else going on and that she believed the pregnancy exacerbated my already deficient stores. I understand that but now I am starting to feel all the same symptoms creeping up again, heart racing, low energy to absolutely drained, freezing cold, etc and I know my stores are again low. My B12 was checked and mid to high so pernicious anemia was ruled out. However I am thinking about visiting another practice for a second opinion. I have been mindful of eating more iron rich foods this time around and have upped my intake of them considerably. Yet I feel like I'm right back to square one.

Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
rico5000
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User
Re: Chronic Anemia?

I can't advise you but I can give you some things to consider and think on that may help you. I am a 73 year old female. At about your age, I had anemia and took a course of iron and, to my knowledge, didn't have anemia again until last February. My doctor, however, after looking at my history, determined that I've probably always had slight anemia. I know I had many of the symptoms but they got bad the end of last year.

Anyway, I have brought my blood back up and now am taking a low infrequent dose just to make sure it doesn't raise it's ugly head again. This is at the advice of my doctor. I take "Gentle Iron" and it doesn't bother me at all. Before that, I took (and still do at times) Ferrous Gluconate. It doesn't bother me but I believe it does "slightly" raise my blood pressure.

Point is, there are some people who seem to have chronic anemia. In my case, I can't absorb iron because of the proton pump medication I take that keeps all the acid out of my stomach. So I need to take iron to keep my blood normal.

If I were in your place, I would not get pregnant again and I would see another reputable physician to get more guidance. I'm sure there is some way you can get the iron you need without it making you ill.

If you are taking iron and the symptoms have returned, you may have more than IDA. But it sounds as if you really aren't taking anything. I know you said you have had infusions.

I hope you get it sorted out. I know you must be very frustrated.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Reply Reply