It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

Scared to know ...

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2017, 04:30 AM   #1
Nixbbygrl
(female)

Nixbbygrl HB User
Scared to know ...

Approx 2 to 3 yes ago, I went to a walk in clinic for chronic lower back pain. As I needed to get a referral for a pain Dr. When they called me the next to tell me that they already received my test tesults and would like me to go to the emergency room for a blood transfusion. I was told my results would take till Monday or Tuesday to come in, but due to my blood results they had them back in less than 24 hrs. I don't leave my records in front of me but I do remember that my iron levels (as a percentage was only 2%) and my blood levels, I can't remember the exact codes used, but a good number for a woman my age, height, and weight, was a 14. 7. When my blood was done, it read a 5.1. I went to the walk in clinic to pick up my results to take with me to the hospital, I suddenly couldn't not breathe, everything was becoming blurry and just pure exhaustion. I now know the symptoms of my anemia but I don't feel any different then I have for the last 20 years. As I did not feel anything different then, when it was so bad, they said I could have died. I was put into the hospital for several days while they ran tests. My blood pressure was very low also and could not find any reason for it to be that low. After multiple test with nothing being found I decided to check myself out. The only test not done was the colonoscopy. My aunt died of colon cancer at 31 years old. I recently (about 6 months ago) went to the er for not feeling well. They said my blood level was still about a 9 so I was in good shape and didn't need to worry. Should I be worried? I live in a different state then where I was diagnosed and have not found a Dr yet. I am afraid they are going to tell me its something they can't fix. What to do...

Last edited by Nixbbygrl; 08-09-2017 at 04:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Scared to know ...

I think with a history like you have, you need to find a doctor immediately and get a full physical again. It will be very important to continue getting labs done regularly to stay on top of the anemia.

As far as not having a colonoscopy- most people do not have one until they are 50; however if you have a family history such as you describe, most GI doctors will start you sooner. My father, grandparents and brother all died of Colon Cancer. I had my first scope done when I was 30 and have one every two years ever since! Fortunately Colon Cancer is very slow growing. As long as you catch it in time, you can cure this type of cancer 100%. Removing cancerous polyps is key to preventing the cancer from spreading. The symptoms you mentioned do not even remotely sound like colon cancer (this is usually all in your stomach and bowels that symptoms show up) but you should talk to a doctor about your family history and see if they feel it is time to get screened.

Be good to yourself. Your health is the only thing you have...find a General Practitioner who you can schedule a full physical with and start having an open honest dialog about everything you have been through. You can probably have the old doctor send the new doctor your previous labs- but let the new doctors office request them.

Reply Reply