It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

Pernicious Anemia?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #1
fluttur
(female)

fluttur HB User
Pernicious Anemia?

Hello,

I am feeling a bit confused about a possible (or possibly not) diagnosis of Pernicious Anemia. I am hoping those of you with experience in having this ruled in or out might share your wisdom. I apologize upfront for this being a long post.

A little history...

1. My B12 levels have been low for a while. When supplementing pills they go up only slightly, but with injections they become normal to high.

2. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and am extremely Vitamin D deficient, both of which I understand can go hand in hand with Pernicious Anemia.

3. I have a lot of Auto Immune type symptoms that don't necessarily fit in with my diagnoses above. These include Fibromyalgia type pain, numbness and tingling in my hands, and constant headaches. I also have symptoms that fit all of the above including constant fatigue.

4. I was a vegetarian for a long time, but have recently become Vegan due to ongoing stomach problems with dairy and eggs.

5. My father had Pernicious Anemia, but we are not sure if it was due to age, hereditary, or Pancreatic Cancer.

Where I am at now...

My general physician ran the following tests:
Intrinsic Factor Antibody, which was Positive
Methymalonic Acid, which was Normal
With these conflicting results, he stated that I did not have Pernicious Anemia

I then saw my Rheumatologist who, while reviewing my previous labs, stated that I had some symptoms and positive test results for Pernicious Anemia and ran the following test as a followup to the previous two:
Parietal Cells Antibody, which were present
My Dr. has not yet followed up with me on my lab results.

A little extra info...

I had recently missed several B12 injections, I usually have them every 2 weeks, but had not had any in 2 months, due to an insurance issue. My blood test without the B12 supplementation came back very high (1761 with a normal range being 200–910 pg/mL). I restarted by B12 injection that same day, but after my lab test had been completed. Twelve days later I had my B12 levels retested, the lab mistakenly pulled this and some other labs that were "future" orders along with some "immediate" order tests, the result was 422 and thus in the normal range.

Questions...

1. Are my lab results, symptoms, and history indicative or not indicative of Pernicious Anemia?

2. Would you assume that the high B12 lab test was a false high or error based on the lack of supplementation and the follow up result being so much lower?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply