It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Hi I'm new and looking for advice

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
    Harley38
    (female)

Harley38 HB User
    Thumbs up Hi I'm new and looking for advice

I am a 38 year old female, suffering from a wide range of symptoms that until just recent my Dr thought was thyroid disease. Turns out my Iron/Ferettin level instead of being in the 30 -300 range, im currently sitting at a 4, the number 4 lol. I am over the moon happy tho to find out, It is an answer to some nasty symptoms i needed.

While i wait to find out if i have an absortion issue , they have me on Proferrin and some other natural stuff to bring my levels up hopefully. But i need to hear tips and tricks from anyone who has come up against the struggle of just having enough energy to get out of bed! I can not drink anymore coffee or im afraid ill drown my insides lol. I have tried pumpkin seeds and dark leafly greens but never seem to get any "boost" off anything.

Also the cold, oh the cold! I live in Canada, so its cold here anyway, but add on the low levels, and im teeth chattering cold 90% of my day, again tips, tricks? My poor skin is so dry from having hot baths 3 times a day!

Also any high protein foods or drinks or anything, literally any advice to get through this, I will take it!

I'm all ears!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Hi I'm new and looking for advice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harley38 View Post

I'm all ears!
    Okay! I don't know what your overall diet is like but, just in case, I'll give you the following information. Many foods contain Phytic acid and phytic acid forms a bond with certain minerals like calcium, iron, zinc, and manganese. And when that happens it can, to some extent, prevent or slow their absorption. Phytic acid is contained in many healthy foods so it's not a good idea to attempt to avoid it altogether.

A partial list of foods that are high in phytates: Seeds, bran, soy, and nuts in general. Healthy beans contain a good amount of phytic acid too, but if you soak them overnight that will remove a lot of it.

Sorry to say, I think coffee also contains phytates. After all, it comes from a bean. So if you drink a lot of coffee that could be a problem.

I'm a vegan so I eat a lot of beans, whole grains and nuts etc. but I also eat a lot of foods that contain iron and calcium etc. from dark leafy greens. Therefore, it seems to balance out for me so I don't have any health issues.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-21-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added a thought

Reply Reply