It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Iron and Systemic Edema?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
    Nysa
    (female)

Nysa HB User
    Low Iron and Systemic Edema?

Hi

I have been plagues with systemic edema (that does not go with diet changes) - my body is fluffy swollen and seems to retain water all around

I have had nuemrous tests done through the years - nothing seemed amiss and no Drs have answers

I inicidentally happened to get serum iron tested along with othe tests and it comes out to be low (40 - RR is 60-170). I have read on few sites that low iron causes WR< inability to lose wt and swelling. I just checked some of my reports from 6 years go - Iron was low even then (60ish)

Could it then be possible that this is the cause of the systemic edema and inability to lose weight? None of my Drs ever mentioned it

Will this edema leave me if my iron stores go up (Say midway to 100ish?)

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Low Iron and Systemic Edema?

I have never heard of low iron causing systemic edema. Is there any explanation for your low iron, and are you anemic? Dietary deficiency of protein, or protein loss through the urine from kidneys can cause edema. I would ask Dr. to check a serum protein level on your blood. Low thyroid can also cause edema, which is easily checked on a blood test. A sodium level on blood should be done as well, and if abnormal, the hormones that control sodium should be checked. A urinalysis will suffice to check for protein loss in urine, and if present should be measured with a 24 hr urine specimen. Please let us know if you find out what the cause is.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
    Nysa
    (female)

Nysa HB User

ladybud

We did check Serum protein, it is 6.6 (RR 6.3 - 8.0) and Albumin 3.4 (RR 3.5 - 5.0) I do have Hashis but thyroid parameters are all ok, so I have been thinking there is something else amiss. The only parameter that has huge deviation is Serum Iron, which is also required for proper thyroid function, so i thought it could be the Iron. If I google 'Low iron and edema' some research did come up. I hope I can find out the reason soon too Thanks for responding

Old 12-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
    Lady221
    (female)

Lady221 HB UserLady221 HB User

Were you able to figure this out? I seem to have the same problems. Hypothyroid, edema and low iron.

Reply Reply