It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Deficincy ? Please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2003, 07:05 AM   #1
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
    Iron Deficincy ? Please Help

Can anyone tell me how you find out if you have an iron deficiency. I had a CBC done in the past to see if I had an ear infection that was causing my lightheadedness. The results were negitive. Would the CBC also tell them if I was enemic. I have suffered with RLS for more than five years and heard that it was caused from iron deficiency.

My symtoms are: Lightheadedness, spaciness and full feeling in ears 24/7. I also have tingly and hot /cold sensations, sometimes head and neckaches. Before all this happened I used a drug called Protonix for acid reflux and one of its many side effects is inability to retain iron. If iI had low iron to start with maybe this drug put me over the edge. Common sence would tell me that I had eaustacian tube dysfunction and anxiety from the dizzies, but I was given prednisone, nasonix and zyrtec and it made it worse. I have been on Paxil for 3 months with no change.

Can anyone help me figure this out, I would like to have an idea of what is wrong before I spend what little I have left on another Dr. visit. I so so badly want to go back to work. I have had just about everything done including a catscan.

Thank You very much for any responces,

Derek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2003, 07:19 AM   #2
    MOMICULA

MOMICULA HB User
    hi, i also have rls....i just finished an iron transfusion....my neurologist and hematologist said having low iron will increase rls......but getting iron up will not rid rls...but will lessen the severity of symptoms....iron increase will not cure rls.....i didn't have the iron transfusion for this reason...my levels were seriously low...too low for oral to work......but having the transfusion will help with symptoms from rls/myofascia.......good luck

Old 11-05-2003, 07:26 AM   #3
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
    Thanks for the response. I can live with the RLS it is the lightheadedness/spacedout feelings that are killing me. Can you tell me what kind of test they ran to find out that you had low iron.

Thank You

Old 11-05-2003, 07:49 AM   #4
    MOMICULA

MOMICULA HB User
    ok, i've always..or at least for 7-8 yrs had a low ferritin level..10-13 varying throughout the yrs...then this summer i saw a new neurologist..when i mentioned to him my levels of ferritin were low he perked right up...he ordered another one and it came back at 13...he sent me to a hematologist who drew another level plus the normal cbc ...this was 2 1/1 months after my neuro visit...in three months my ferritin went from 13 to 5....my hgb was 11 and my hct was 36.....now most docs might look at only the hgb and hct ..saying they're ok and not worry about me...this has been done in past yrs so it's no wonder i've felt like crap and had a multitude of strange symptoms.......my hematologist said the hgb and hct levels are not enough to show iron depletion..which is what i have...no stores...reb blood cells are pratically empty....he said my periods would get lighter because i have no extra blood to come out....he said the only thing to do now was an iron transfusion......i didn't want this due to the possible anaphylatic reaction.....i begged to go on oral iron..but he said it takes a very long time..months and months to get any amt of improvement in my levels.....even with iv iron it will take 6weeks......then more transfusions as needed......every 6weeks to 3 months.......i'm glad i had the transfusion and will certainly have as many as needed.....iron anemia is not to be sneezed at.....i've found out how seriously ill one can become...blood transfusions do become necessary for some.....we need iron to get the oxygen to our cells..organs etc......i think iron anemia has kind of been a non-serious blood disorder..because most docs think any women who is still having a period will be somewhat anemic and not too worrisome...they're wrong..i've found out it's very serious and chnages our lives..too tired to be a functional family member ect....not to mention the disasterous effects on our health it can take/will take...........and i'm a former registered nurse....even then i didn't consider iron anemia too serious.....boy...was i ignorant......hope this helps

Old 11-07-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User
    Im not sure about the iron, but with your neck pain and ear problems, I may be able to relate to.
    About 3-4 mths into taking Paxil cr, I also developed neck pain, dizziness, pressure in ears, headaches. I've also been noticing, and I don't know if you have, but I've been clenching my teeth a lot, come to find out I've also been grinding my teeth a lot (in my sleep). These are Paxil side effects for some people.
    After clenching and grinding for 3-4 mths, I developed tmj (temporomandibular jaw disorder), which is why I have the neck stiffness, headaches, dizzyness and ear problems. Now this may have nothing to do with you and your symptoms, but you never know.
    I also had an iron deficency when I was a teen. I remember being very lightheaded and dizzy, even passing out. I don't remember how they determined it, blood test I think?..
    I remember being told that I lost a lot of iron, cuz of my very heavy periods then.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #6
    melongal

melongal HB User
    anemia and Protonix

I have been iron deficient for years. I was first diagnosed in 1995. My deficiency has been linked to excessive menstrual flow.

What caught my eye about your post was your question about Protonix. The reason being, I have been at the same level with HGB and HCT and iron for years. However, after a two month stint with taking Prilosec my levels have fallen drastically! I have now been told to take iron three times a day to hopefully pull it back up. The doctors are not too quick to jump at the connection between a proton pump inhibitor (Prilosec, Nexium...) and my anemia worsening, but I have done a lot of research in this area. In my opinion, there is a link, at least with me. Back in '95 I had come off of 12 months of taking prescription strength Zantac. I believe that when my stomach acid is played around with, my body has a hard time absorbing iron.

I did find a site on the web where the some of the hematic effects of taking Protonix could be anemia and iron-deficiency. So, I do think there is a connection. It may not be common, but it is there in writing.

Closed Thread