It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• *Please help me figure out if i have anemia!*

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2003, 09:37 PM   #1
    Stephie06

Stephie06 HB User
    Smile *Please help me figure out if i have anemia!*

Hi! I am a 16 year old girl and i think i may have anemia. I am very social and outgoing. I play softball for my highschool & travel team. Im very athletic and in good shape. I eat umm ok ..i dont eat many veggies at all b/c i think there nasty. I do eat a lot of fruits though, i mean alot. I absolutely adore fruits like : grapes, strawberries, peaches, nectarines, blueberries, and sometimes bananas.
    I recently told my mom that i think i may have anemia because..i have trouble breathing sometimes. Thats all i told her because i didnt want her to know all my symptoms. I also have a lot of trouble getting good breathes in..its hard to explain but like ill be playing a sport or something or even just sitting in front of the computer and ill take a deep breath through my nose and it wont like go through (if that makes any sense)..so then i try taking a deep breath through my mouth..and usually that works after about 2 or 3 tries. I also have that thing where ill be sitting down watching tv and ill get up kinda fast and ill have to like stand still for a little bit b/c i feel reeeally lightheaded and like im gonna black out (i have blacked-out before when i was like 13) and so i tried just getting up slower but that doesnt really help, i still feel dizzy. I was afraid to tell my mom all this b/c i dont wanna go to the doctor. I hate thinking that ill be diagnosed with some medical problem that ill have to take medicine for..it doesnt help that i cant swallow pills..my mom said thats what the doc would give me. Once i did tell my mom she just thought it was asthma maybe, b/c my grandma had it really bad so it may be heriditary. Anyways sorry this is SOOOOOOO loong but i need advice and someone to tell. I read some posts about a week ago and saw maybe im just lacking in iron so i started eating more red meat..but it didnt exactly work yet. So anyways if u did read this, thanks. And if u have ANY advice, even a little, PLEASE post it. If i do get blood taken one day..ill letcha know how it comes out = ) thakns! ~steph

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 08:04 AM   #2
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
    Re: *Please help me figure out if i have anemia!*

Hi Stephie,

The best advice we can give to you is to see your doctor to get checked out for anemia and asthma. We can't tell you if you have it without knowing what your blood will show. If it does show anemia, your doctor will need to check to see if your are deficient in B-vitamins or in iron. And, if you don't like pills, there are other ways to get iron. Eating iron does help to prevent anemia, but it sometimes isn't enough if you are already anemic. Even with iron - pills, liquid or IV - it can take a long time to resolve the anemia. And, just taking the iron to help your body make more blood may not fix the problem. You have to figure out why you are anemic - usually blood loss. Whatever the cause is, that has to be taken care of to really fix the problem. You will be a better athlete and enjoy life a lot more if you find out what is wrong and get it treated. Just tell your doctor that you have a hard time with pills. They can work with you to teach you how to take them or to find another way for you to get the right nutrients.

Last edited by PaNik5717; 12-30-2003 at 02:23 PM.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:11 AM   #3
    Stephie06

Stephie06 HB User
    Talking Re: *Please help me figure out if i have anemia!*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaNik5717
    Hi Stephie,

The best advice we can give to you is to see your doctor to get checked out fr anemia and asthma. We can't tell you if you have it without knowing what your blood will show. If it does show anemic, your doctor will need to cehck to see if your are deficient in B-vitamins or in iron/ And, if you don't like pills, there are other ways to get iron. Eating iron does help to prevent anemia, but it sometimes isn't enough if you are already anemic. Even with iron - pills, liquid or IV - it can take a long time to resolve the anemia. And, just taking the iron to help your body make more blood may not fix the problem. You have to figure out why you are anemic - usually blood loss. Whatever the cause is, that has to be taken care of to really fix the problem. You will be a better athlete and enjoy life a lot more if you find out what is wrong and get it treated. Just tell your doctor that you have a hard time with pills. They can work with you to teach you how to take them or to find another way for you to get the right nutrients.
    *Thanks soo much PaNiK!*

Closed Thread