It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Pernicious Anemia ????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
    jerriel

jerriel HB User
    Pernicious Anemia ????

[COLOR=Navy] Hello my name is Jerri and I am a cancer survivor long term I have been having some problems such as numbness in my face and the tip of my nose feels as if pins are sticking in it. My cancer was in my sinus so immediately the doctors did a biopsy.
    The doctor told me at the time last week to be exact that the symptoms I am having are also associated with Pernicious Anemia and ordered blood work for investigation. Altho feeling fatigued most of the time lately I am in fairly good health and had a blood work up a few months ago. If I was suffering from this anemia would it not have shown previously.

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.
    Jerri[SIZE=5]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Pernicious Anemia ????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerrikehoe
    [COLOR=Navy] Hello my name is Jerri and I am a cancer survivor long term I have been having some problems such as numbness in my face and the tip of my nose feels as if pins are sticking in it. My cancer was in my sinus so immediately the doctors did a biopsy.
    The doctor told me at the time last week to be exact that the symptoms I am having are also associated with Pernicious Anemia and ordered blood work for investigation. Altho feeling fatigued most of the time lately I am in fairly good health and had a blood work up a few months ago. If I was suffering from this anemia would it not have shown previously.

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.
    Jerri[SIZE=5]
    I did not see where you specifically gave pernicious anemia symptoms. Since Iron deficiency anemia is a separate diagnosis. However, it take 120 days for red blood cells to cycle out. In other words from beginning of the life of the red blood cell until it dies and is recycled is 120 days. Pernicious anemia is caused when the stomach does not secrete intrinsic factor and the body can not produce enough red blood cells to keep up with the degenerating ones. Iron deficiency anemia occurs from excess bleeding, chemo therapy or radiation therapy. It also happens if the body is unable to store adequate amounts of iron or stores the iron in a place that is unaccessable by the body. Storage and transport disease. If you have had a loss of appetite or poor nutrition habits recently, you can be low on available iron but still have plenty of iron stored for future use. It is really difficult to say from you question as to what the doctor is referring to.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
    dljohannsen

dljohannsen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerrikehoe
    [COLOR=Navy] Altho feeling fatigued most of the time lately I am in fairly good health and had a blood work up a few months ago. If I was suffering from this anemia would it not have shown previously.

[SIZE=5]

Jerri - I was diagnosed with B-12 deficiency last year after going in to my MD about depression. The diagnosis was a complete surprise. I thought I was healthy. After doing some reading, I could see that I did have other symptoms I had been ignoring because I thought I was just getting old and tired at 34.

Apparently, some anemias are so slow to develop that the body adapts to the anemic state and won't show obvious symptoms until in a state of crisis. Also, considering that your body has been through the ringer with cancer and chemo, it could be that symptoms you attributed to that experience are actually part of the anemia. I'm self-injecting B-12 twice a month, and it has a significant effect on my mood and energy level. Also, I've found I have increased strength and stamina now that I've been taking iron supplements as well.

I think that chemo can deplete B-12 and iron stores. If you are deficient in both, it's possible that the two anemias are actually masking each other in your blood tests. B-12 deficiency causes red blood cells to get bigger, but iron deficiency causes them to get smaller; combined, they create the illusion that everything is normal. Your doctor should run a serum B-12 test, as well as a serum ferritin test in order to get accurate counts.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Hi,
    If anyone is conceren about rather or not they have "pernicious Anemia"
    Obviously Go see your Doctor!

I have that ("Pernicious Anemia") and have to take B-12 Injections once a month along with folic acid/Iron supplments taken orally....daily.

Different types of amenia but most common would be Pernicious type?

Them systoms are scary.
    1. TIRED FEELING ALL THE TIME.
    2. SLEEP A LOT
    3. A TINGGLING FEELING IN YOUR HANDS BACK NECK. esp when your mobil
    4. FEET FEEL HOT AND SWEEL-UP
    5. Numbness
    6. Depression
    7. Dizzy...equal-lib is off...

Perhaps they are more systoms I'm sure, but if you have any of these systoms ... go see your Dr fast...blood test will reveal it....and usally a B- 12 shot will get you going?

Taking a B-12 supplement by mouth will not work your slavia simply disolves it before it gets into your blood strem...hench the injections!!! you may have to take shots everyday for a couple of weeks maybe a month? to get you caught up on the "cyanocobalmin" (B-12) usally you will have to take the shots for the rest of your life..because your instrinsic factor has desapaited for reasons unknow to medical personel?? other that some form of cancer/Lukimia?...they say heavy drinking of alchol can cause it but I don't believe that!

Instrinsic Factor....is hard to understand for laymens terms/ the best way I can tell some one what it acutally does it's like 2 little hands down inside your stomach that reaches out to get the supplements your body needs to fuction and sends it to your blood strem on a everyday bases.

I'm not MEDICAL DOCTOR tho so what I say could be very well wrong I just been doing a little reading

Last edited by chevyman; 01-24-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:43 AM   #5
    Nash-t
    Inactive

Nash-t HB User

Good thread chevyman, I never had thought about the salvia desolving it before it gets into the bloodstrem? hummmm? but I guess it wouldn't now that you mention it!

Closed Thread