It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia and Irregular Heartbeat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2002, 05:03 PM   #1

brooke@home HB User
    Post Anemia and Irregular Heartbeat

I have had an irregular heartbeat that was getting progressively worse until my doctor determined after bloodtests, that I am very anemic. I went on an iron supplement that also included B12 and folic acid. Finally the irregular heartbeat stopped after a few weeks. Is this a common symptom of anemia? I have noticed that recently some heart fluttering has returned and I am kind of discouraged. Could my body not be absorbing the iron? I have also had a history headaches for years.

The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
    Luie (12-01-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2002, 08:35 AM   #2
    Venus Envy

Venus Envy HB User
    Brooke, I have chronic iron-deficiency anemia due to an inability to absorb iron. Also have an irregular heartbeat (PCVs), probably because of the anemia. I do know that the PCVs are worse when I'm fatigued or my iron counts are low. Because I don't absorb the iron from oral supplements, I have IV iron dextran infusions every few months or when my counts are out of whack. Has your doc done an iron absorption test? Have you seen a hematology oncologist (they see this sort of thing most often)? How about a cardiologist?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venus Envy For This Useful Post:
    Luie (12-01-2010)
    Old 05-04-2002, 12:14 AM   #3
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    iron and B-12 deficiency both can cause PVC's and most of the time it isn't anything to fret about as far as the Dr's are concerned. I wouldn't worry too much as PVC's are usually benign in origin, but if it still bothers you it probably would ease your mind if you had a cardiologist check it out.

The following user gives a hug of support to NancyH:
    Luie (12-01-2010)
    Old 05-04-2002, 05:47 PM   #4

brooke@home HB User
    Thanks Venus and Nancy. I got the latest bloodtest results which showed my iron absorption was up from 4 to 4.3%. My doctor said that normal is over 15%. This is after three months of iron/B12/folic acid supplements. Venus, how is an iron absorption test done? Is it a bloodtest? I will ask my doctor about referring me to a hematologist. She seems to think that in a premenipausal woman, my rbc and iron levels might indicate some gastrointestinal bleeding. Testing for that so far has been negative. I don't really want to go through a colinoscopy unless it is definitely indicated. And, wouldn't my iron level be significantly higher after the three months of supplements? The PVCs stopped after a month, but they have come back sporadically since then. I know the doctors don't seem too concerned by them but to me, they are just a reminder that something just isn't right with my body.

Old 05-06-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    Are you perimenopausal??? Is that what you were trying to say? My blood work started acting up about the time I was going into perimenopause and it created havoc for several years. Colonoscopy isn't so bad, the prep work you do at home is a pain in the rear but the test is nothing so don't fear it. Your RBC is pretty low I'd go through further testing.

Closed Thread