It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• pernicious anemia/cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2002, 04:47 PM   #1
    annacares

annacares HB User
    Question pernicious anemia/cancer

Does anyone know if the chance of developing gastric cancer is reduced with treatment of pernicious anemia, or do we remain at high risk? My doc never even told me I was at high risk because of pernicious anemia and now am waiting for biopsy results. I wonder why she didn't follow my stomach symptoms more closely, since she gives me b-12 injections every 3 weeks?

The following user gives a hug of support to annacares:
    Happygolucky612 (04-17-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2002, 10:37 PM   #2
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    That's a good question, I to have pernicious and have been giving my own injections for 7 yrs every 3 weeks. I didn't find out about the high risk of stomach cancer from my Dr but from a news article. I understood it to be high risk from here on in, but I'm going to call my Dr tomorrow to find out.

Old 04-12-2002, 03:00 AM   #3
    nuttysissy

nuttysissy HB User
    hi,
    i have penicious anemia also and it has done alot of damage to me.i have had h-phlori also and bone marrow failure from it. i have read up on it alot and the way i get it even with treatment we are a high risk.
    do you have other problems with this.my stomach kills me lol my whole body does. please let me know what you find out.

Old 04-14-2002, 03:53 PM   #4
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    You are so right, my Dr did explain that even with injections the risk is high for gastric cancer, stomach whatever. Only because the damage has already been done. Yes I have constant stomach queeziness and have developed esophagitis over the last couple years even with my treatment. Bone marrow failure, yikes, I haven't had that I don't think, how can you tell if you do? Most people when you mention pernicious anemia they don't even know what it is and if you say it is a B-12 deficiency they act like, oh just a vit problem, not realising this at one time was a killer and still can be if complications arise, nor do they know what damage it can do. But yep, stomach doesn't like much of anything. It seems to be prevalent amoung pa patients.

Old 04-15-2002, 03:30 AM   #5
    nuttysissy

nuttysissy HB User
    hi ,the pernicious anemia is what caused my bone marrow failure didnt now i had it until for about 4 weeks i started drasticaly losing wieght and vomiting,stil working day before i went in hospital to see why white blood cell count was dropping fast 3.9 then to 2.9 1 week before hospital addmittance
    the day they put me in they took it 1.9 .
    the next morning they did bone marow biopsy and blood work thats when i went into neutropenia stage .
    pernicious anemia has numbed me from navel down,i walk with walker or cane around house and wheelchair for long places.
    i had h-phlori and that was about 2 yrs ago.i got my disability but waiting on medicare in august i have to have that scope i cant take the nausae 24/7.
    this disease is nuts,i wish doc would have caught it in time.well ill shut up now and please let meknow how you all are doing with this.
    god speed and god bless
    friends against pa lol
    lisa

Old 05-09-2002, 06:02 PM   #6
    LORRIE3511

LORRIE3511 HB User
    Talking

I also have pernicious anemia. I take a B12 shot every 4 weeks, but I still don't feel right. By the end of my 2nd week, my body and muscles are sore and feel exhusted. I told my doctor this and they said that my blood works looks ok so I should not feel so exhusted. My stomach also feels like it is on fire. Cant eat by the end of the 3rd week cause there is so much acid and bile build up. Do you also feel the same way? or do you think that something else might be wrong? Thank You

Old 05-12-2002, 10:38 PM   #7
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I have lots of stomach problems and hav for years. it seems to go with this anemia. I have a endoscopy every 3 years. It's just something to keep an eye on due to our pernicious condition.

Closed Thread