It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Intravenous iron..a godsend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2002, 07:07 PM   #1
    Judywhit
    Inactive

Judywhit HB User
    Post Intravenous iron..a godsend

I have been anemic for a very long time. Doc always sends me home with a prescription for iron pills. They sit in the drawer because I can not tolerate them. I have stomach disorders and I am physically sick when I take iron. The interavenous iron has worked so well for me. My iron level was 9, now I am at 60. It seems to go up 20pts with each session. I would not hesitate to go this route if your doc has suggested it. Just wanted to share my success story.
    Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #2
    mrselmo2002

mrselmo2002 HB User
    Judy,

Can you tell me more about how this IV works? My hemoglobin level is 8.3 and my doctor is talking about me having the same thing done. He said it would take about 3 hours. Is that how long yours took? Any info you can give me I would really appreciate.

Charlotte

Old 03-16-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
    Hi, yes intervenous iron is a godsend. I have always been borderline anemic due to malabsorbtion. Doctor told me I needed iron but was unable to tolerate it by mouth. Finally after a hospital error of fluid overload by IV, my hemoglobin dropped so much, that I was given iron by IV. I tolerated it very well. I've heard that not everyone does due to allergies etc. My infusion took 3 hours. I have to go monthly for these. Does your iron levels go up each time? I still feel weak and I was told it will be 2-3 weeks before I feel a difference. For now, I am happy with the fact of toleration.

Closed Thread