It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Intravenous Iron

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
    KAW1211

KAW1211 HB User
    Question Intravenous Iron

I have been stuggling to increase my serum iron level(currently 3) with oral iron supplements without success. My last blood drawn revealed a hgb of 8.2. Early next week I meet with my MD again to discuss IV iron supplementation. Has anyone received IV iron that could tell me about their experiences? Quite frankly I am a bit scared about receiving it, but am frustrated with the shortness of breath, palpitations and fatigue that I have been experiencing for the last month. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    I never had IV iron but I had an iron injection once after oral iron failed to raise my blood count and it stung like a .... I couldnt sit for 3 days on that hip. Must have been the iron itself because I have never had probs with any other injection in the hip. I wish I knew then (97) there was such thing as IV iron I spent alot of money on oral iron and it didnt do much.

------------------
    Cheers...Autumn
    Female...42
    TMJD...12 years
    Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured I hope)
    Total Abdominal Hysterectomy due to endometrial bleeding after miscarriage (2002)
    Hernia Repair(1998)
    Apendectomy (infected) 1988
    21 year old daughter born with Mullerian Aplasia
    18 year old daughter bulimia survivor.
    If I can help ANYONE with anything from a papercut to a life threatening illness, I will do my best just to be a friend. " A friend is someone who knows all your faults and loves you anyway".

Old 03-16-2003, 02:04 PM   #3
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
    IV iron went well with me. With Your first infusion they should monitor you closely for any reactions. It is done in a hospital around here, so I imagine that's where yours will be done. So no reason to fear as you are fairly safe should any reaction occurr. If all goes well, it should be smooth sailing with each one after that. Infusion takes about 3 hours.

Closed Thread