It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Can B12 be corrected?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2002, 07:48 AM   #1
    ourjen
    (female)

ourjen HB User
    Post Can B12 be corrected?

Hi, I went to the doctors because I was feeling very tired, was very pale and was losing weight, I had a blood test and was diagnosed with vitamin B12 deficency. I have been having fortnightly and then monthly injections for about 4 months. It is my last injection in a week and then he says he will give me another blood test to see how things are getting along. Can B12 be corrected or will I have to have the injections for the rest of my life? Thanks, Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2002, 12:20 PM   #2
    tcb0609
    Senior Veteran

tcb0609 HB User
    I have taken B12 injections for 5 years and will have to continue taking them for the rest of my life. Some people have to take it forever, some can stop. I take a 1cc injection every other week.

Old 11-22-2002, 08:22 PM   #3
    Dramaqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dramaqueen HB User
    Hey Ourjen,

Tcb's right. Some people need them for weeks and others for months. Good luck for your results.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    All depends on what is the cause of the deficiency. Are you deficient because of the diet or is it because of the lack of intrinsic factor in you stomache? If it is because of the lack of intrinsic factor like me you will be taking the injections for the rest of your life, (going on 8 yrs for me every other week)if it is your diet, taking supplements after the level is back up will be sufficient.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
    Raymondo
    (male)

Raymondo HB User
    To ourjen.
    NancyH is right about the 2 main causes of B12 deficiency, diet and lack of intrinsic factor in your stomach. Vegans and vegetarians need supplements, because B12 is only found in meat.
    However, research has shown that some people have lost int. factor production because of infection with Helicobacter pylori, a very common stomach bug which knocks out the cells which produce the IF. A short course of antibiotics to clear the HP can allow new cell growth, so that you start absorbing B12 again and no longer need injections. It's worth checking. All the best.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 02-05-2003).]

Old 02-12-2003, 06:06 PM   #6
    Anita v

Anita v HB User
    I have B-12 deficiency probably for more than 3 years, but wasn't diagnosed until last year. I now receive b12 shots every 3 weeks. It works ok, but the symptoms like muscle spasms, fatigue and memory problems recurr about every 2 1/2 weeks. I heard about a preparation of Vitamin B12 that may be given intranasally (in the nose). Has anyone ever tried this? And where can you get it?

------------------
    Anita

[This message has been edited by Anita v (edited 02-12-2003).]

Old 03-12-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
    katastrofic
    (female)

katastrofic HB User
    Exclamation

Has anyone experienced numb fingers or any other body parts from b12 deficiency(pernicious anemia)? I'm beginning to think that there is something else wrong with me. Please reply if you have some constructive info. Thanks

Old 03-17-2003, 10:04 PM   #8
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    tcb0609
    can you tell me why you take them? my GP (otherwise respectable, i THINK) went on an absolute rant against them when they were recommended to me by my CFS doc -- said they were just an excuse to get susceptible patients to pay money and implied that they were a scam. I take them, of course, but have just started and have had only two weeks' worth ..

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:02 AM   #9
    nchanted17

nchanted17 HB User
    Hi, I'm new here so I hope this is the way to post! I am low on iron, so I took iron pills. Went back for another blood test and found the ferritin level was even lower. Any suggestion or comments regarding the causes of this. Also, how can I raise this myself? Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-18-2003, 05:33 PM   #10
    dimples26

dimples26 HB User
    Hi,
    I found out a few years ago that i was B12 deficient. I was extremly tired all the time, had numness in my arms and legs at times, headaches, amoungs other symptoms. I began to get B12 injections everyother week. I later found out from another doctor that i had digestive problems and that was the cause of being B12 deficient. I am also anemic, and iron deficient and was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease (digestive disorder).

Old 03-20-2003, 09:19 AM   #11
    Raymondo
    (male)

Raymondo HB User
    Dear Dimples,
    One of the recognised causes of B12 deficiency is an infection with Helicobacter Pylori. Many people have this bug in their stomachs with no symptoms, but others get digestive disorders - it is probably the main cause of ulcers in those parts. It can also destroy the stomach lining cells which produce the Intrinsic Factor needed to extract B12 from food. If you have not been checked for this bug,I suggest that you consider it. If you have and it's treated, you may well start absorbing B12 again and no longwer need injections.

If you want to read up on this, just enter "vitamin B12 helicobacter pylori" on your search engine. There's a lot of good reading about it. All the best.

Closed Thread