It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Male anemic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
    tim77

tim77 HB User
    Question Male anemic?

Hi. My name is Tim. I am a 29 year old male and I am suffering with shingles and having a lot of pain with it. I recently fainted and was out for more time than I care to admit. I thought I had fainted from the pain of shingles, but my doctor tested my blood and said I have anemia too and that was probably made worse by shingles. I recently had surgery on my appendix and lost a lot of blood from that and I still am sore from it. Do you think that having my appendix out and having shingles brought the anemia on? Is it normal for a male to have anemia since most people with anemia are women? Is it normal to feel lightheaded when you have anemia? I keep feeling as if I will faint again, but I am already on bedrest from the surgery and the shingles.Any advice...this whole thing just seems so strange to me and I am confused!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
    Dawnrise
    Veteran
    (female)

Dawnrise HB User
    I am anemic also. Although I've never felt light-headed it is very common. Some causes of anemia are serious disease, vitamin or iron deficiencies, blood loss, side effect of medications, & genetic or acquired defects or disease. Yes, its normal for males to have anemia. I was prescribed 325mg iron twice a day. Did your doctor treat you for anemia?

Old 05-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    Light headedness and dizziness are very common with anemia. I hope your doctor gives you the iron you need. I don't know if he has not done so because of the shingles, but the blood loss you experienced is the probable cause of your anemic state.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:58 AM   #4
    tim77

tim77 HB User
    Talking

Yes, I my doctor gave me iron by IV so that I could lay down while he did it. The doctor says that the iron will not interact with my shingles medicines so that is not a problem. Thank you for your advice and concern!

Old 05-19-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
    wfc33

wfc33 HB User
    Tim-
    I didn't get the same symptoms as you, but I was really tired and a couple of times when I didn't get to eat right on time, I feel like I was going to pass out also.

Once I was grocery shopping and it hit, and I barely made it out of the store. It was that bad. But since I got my hemoglobin back up some, that hasn't happened. But I still try to be careful and not shop on an empty stomach!

Closed Thread