It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Help, I can't live like this anymore

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
    JaneAdrienne

JaneAdrienne HB User
    Unhappy Help, I can't live like this anymore

I'm 48 & had a period that last over 5 months and it went untreated b/c I don't have medical insurance I finally went to a clinic where ALL the tests they ran came back NORMAL, expect that I am anemic. Told to take 4 iron pills a day AND never thought to ask, "how long does it take to clear up"? All the iron pills i've tryed make me sick. So I was taking liquid iron and liver extract pills. But when my stomach is upset, I can't eat. And I can't take the liver extract pills without food.
    My hearts races all the time, my feet are cold, and I have tingling (sp) in my hands and feet. I feel so worn out trying to get any real medical attention, which IS next to impossible without insurance. I am doing temp work right now, and I feel like I am holding on by a thread Does anyone else feel like this? Also NOISE really bothers me. It's like I hear things LOUDER or something. And I have a nail infection that I can't get cleared up, which I had when I became anemic. Ouch
    Anyone else out there without medical insurance, but found a GOOD dr? I want to try accupucture, but I feel like a walking liability. Anyone know of any other remidies THAT WORK???? please help.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
    ptnfl

ptnfl HB User
    Jane how much iron are you taking? 4 pills is probably 100 mg. I don't know how anemic you are but I just got back from doc and was told I can take 300 mg iron for my anemia. I got my anemia pretty much the same way as you. You can read my post below yours for details. Yes, I too have a sensitivity to sound, my husband is going nuts because I'm always telling him to turn things down. Do you know what your hemoglobin is. Mine is 8.1 and the doc said today that it could take a month or 2 to get it back up where it belongs. A very good iron pill to take is VegIron (health stores carry them), they have something in them which will stop you from becoming constipated which is a big problem for some). Also you must have Vit C, Folic Acid, B12. Your body won't be able to absorb the iron without these supplements, very important. Try to eat as many green veggies as you can. Stay away from caffine if possible. I bled for 3 weeks straight (not really bleed, more like hemmorage, it's called flooding) two months in a row. I was so anemic I couldn't walk across the room without stopping to breath and in an awful fog. My doc put me on provera (hrt) and within two days bleeding stopped. Might want to check in to that; it was sooooo nice to get rid of that blood. Hope it continues. Let me know how you're doing. Hope this helped some. If you want to email me my address is [email protected] Good luck

------------------
    Donna

Closed Thread