It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia and Angiodysplasia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #1
    Narda

Narda HB User
    Post Anemia and Angiodysplasia

I am a female with chronic angiodysplasia (leaking veins in the right colon.) When I have weeks of slow bleeding, I get very anemic. Two weeks ago my blood count was down to 9.6 and the hematocrit was 30. It is probably lower now. I am taking iron supplements - two 27 mg. tablets each day. Six months ago I had a colonoscopy which proved negative. The test showed no leaking veins, so there was nothing to cauterize (which I have had done in the past.) I know that surgery to remove this part of the colon is sometimes successful, but not always. My questions are, how low does the red blood and hematocrit counts have to be before one needs a blood transfusion? And does anyone else on this board suffer from this disease?

[This message has been edited by Narda (edited 06-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
    reginamatthew

reginamatthew HB User
    Question

I am no expert by far but a friends Mom had a transfusion when hers was at 5. Mine runs about 8 all the time and no one has mentioned a transfusion yet. I am actually having a colonscopy and endscopy on Monday to try to figure out why I am anemic. I have been this way since I was about 8 and this is the first Dr. that wants to find out why. My Ferritan is only 1 so he suspects I can't absorb iron but still trying to find out! I wish you luck. How did you find out about your leaking colon?

Old 06-17-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
    Narda

Narda HB User
    Thanks for replying to my post. I learned of the leaking veins a few years ago through a colonoscopy. I have both scopes done every two years. Good luck with your test.

Old 06-18-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
    kymomlee

kymomlee HB User
    it is possible that you might need a colonoscopy now. It is important to see what is happening during your bleeding episodes. If you hemoglobin drops into the 7 range most people get transfusions. At least when I get a patient with a "GI Bleed", the doc usually refers them to a gastroenterologist and they either go straight to a colonoscopy or an egd (a scope to look at the esophagus to the upper intestine). you may be bleeding and they would be able to cauterize now. If you were asymptomatic prior to you last colonoscopy, it is not surprising that they didn't find anything
    THere really isn't a low range before they would transfuse, it depends on how much your h&H dropped and if you are symptomatic, but usually in the 7 range they will transfuse.

[This message has been edited by kymomlee (edited 06-18-2003).]

Old 06-18-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
    Narda

Narda HB User
    Thanks, kymomlee, for you reply. I had both scopes done 6 months ago. Apparently I was not bleeding anywhere at the time (this disease does come and go), so there was nothing to cauterize. I have had cauterization done in the past. I have a top notch gastroenterologist, who is very good at these things. And I do have an appointment with him again next week.

Closed Thread