It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• iron pills making me sick

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
    radgirl
    (female)

radgirl HB User
    Unhappy iron pills making me sick

For those of you on iron supplements, is it making you sick as a dog? If so, please let me know. Also, are you taking something to make the stomach problem better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    I have GERD, so I usually take the pills in the morning with food to prevent acid reflux. If it does not work, ask your doctor if you should take coated pills.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:43 PM   #3
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
    I did a lot of research on iron pills back in February and I have to admit I forgot a lot of what I learned. My doc gave me the pills that I have been taking and my body soaked them up and started making blood faster than the research said I would so I guess they were a good choice.

I take Bronson "Iron with C". They are sustained release tablets and I take them after I eat. They have 27 mg of iron and I took two a day and one Centrum for a couple of months. I never had any symptoms, not even constipation. I think I took them after meals to prevent nausea. The sustained release is supposed to be easier on your stomach, but I think I read that sustained release may not be as effective because iron only absorbs in the stomach.

As I said, I rebounded pretty quick on that schedule. I stopped taking them as often once my body got close to normal and I am now feeling tired and dizzy again.

Hope this makes sense.

Closed Thread