It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Has anyone had these symptoms with anemia? Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2002, 01:04 PM   #1
    Kortney

Kortney HB User
    Post Has anyone had these symptoms with anemia? Help!!

Last year I saw my doctor after having felt faint and weak. He said I was anemic so I took some vitamins and improved my diet and felt a little better.

Now, I feel the same way as I did then but new symptoms have surfaced with it. I'm very, very pale. Almost chalky pale! My eyes hurt, my head and back hurt. My legs feel tingly and sore. I'm tired all the time and it's profound fatigue. It feels as if I've been forced to stay awake for days or something despite getting enough sleep.

My gums are pale but the side of my tongue is very red/irritated and burns and my entire mouth feels very sore. My dentist says it's red but doesn't know why. I have a fast heart rate and get frequent heart palpitations. I feel very anxious and panicky and honestly, I have nothing to be anxious about. I have nothing to feel anxious about. I have a great family and job and no major stress in my life at the moment.

The pain in my mouth from my tongue makes it feel as if my tongue has sores on it but nothing is there. It also refers pain to my right ear. I've had my ear looked at several times in the past 2 weeks and it's completely normal. No infection, no fluid.

I'm not making any of this up or imagining things. I feel this bad and it's not getting better. I felt better Friday and Saturday and today is Sunday and I feel bad today. It seems to wax and wane.

I had anemia when I was a child and had to take iron then as well. My mom has always been anemic.

My last CBC in July was fine according to my doc but I didn't feel as bad then as I do right now.

I'm at a complete loss as to what is going on but I can't take much more of feeling like this either.

I'm bruising easily. Not sponatneous bruising or anything, just easy bruising. I feel hot, then cold. My feet feel ice cold with socks on!

I'm sore all over and I'm sick of hearing from my friends that I look bad. I know I look bad and run down.

If I am anemic again, can it make a person feel like this? Especially with the mouth sores and sore tongue and ear pain?

I know my body and I know when something isn't right. Can anyone identify with all these symptoms?

Nobody can find a reason for the fast heart rate. I don't smoke, I don't drink alot of caffeine. I don't drink alcohol. I've had EKG's, echocardiograms, etc.

Maybe it's all related to being anemic somehow?

I told my dentist how sore my mouth and tongue are but he can't find anything signifigant. I can't keep living on soft foods and using orabase to the side of my tongue for the soreness either.

Sorry this is so long. I'm just utterly clueless at this point.

Thank you for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #2
    YesterdaysChild

YesterdaysChild HB User
    I'm borderline anemic and my symptoms are worse when my period hits. I get heart arrythmias, I feel extremely cold esp. hands and feet and sometimes my head. The worse time is the last day of my period where I feel so fatigued and exhausted that it's sometimes tiring to even breathe. The best thing to do is try not to stress out about it, maybe that could be causing your hear rate to beat faster.

Old 10-11-2002, 12:34 PM   #3
    pollyf

pollyf HB User
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, just couldn't let this post go by without responding. I too had the red tongue and mouth for several years and did see different DR.s no one had an answer. A couple of years ago I was diagonised with severe B-12 defiency and anemia. A week into my treatment the redness and sore mouth were gone.

Kortney I do hope you are better. I see your post is almost a month old.

polly

Old 10-13-2002, 11:21 PM   #4
    kimmi

kimmi HB User
    Question

I too have anemia, but mine is caused from Lupus. But i certainly can identify with a lot that you are saying. I also have high blood pressure so I don't know what causes what in the way I feel. I wake up in the am with terribly puffy eyes, sometimes they are red and sometimes almost look gray. I tend to be a bit of a nightowl, but no wonder...I sleep until 11am and then don't feel refreshed until later in the evening. Plan to have my blood sugar checked also.
    Kim

Old 10-29-2002, 09:28 AM   #5
    Birdie

Birdie HB User
    Read all the information you can find on here about Pernicious Anemia. It is not the same as iron deficiency anemia. Ask you doctor to test for it, if you think you may have that type of anemia. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Birdie (edited 10-29-2002).]

Old 11-09-2002, 08:32 PM   #6
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I have pernicious anemia which is very different from iron, my tongue and mouth were on fire and I could fall asleep on a dime, it took 3 years to get a correct diagnosis and by then I had irreversible damage, so please demand more tests and information as this is a very serious disease, it was a death sentence back in the 30's but with the advent of the injection we can lead a pretty normal life. Pernicious is the Latin word for "violent death" My grandmother died from it at 44.

Old 02-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
    willowtree

willowtree HB User
    i agree this sounds like vit b12 deficiency. those tingly feelings are important to mention to your doc because they signal a neurological problem, and B12 leads to nerve damage. see a doc soon!! nerve damage can be reversible if fixed quickly.

Old 02-15-2003, 06:42 PM   #8
    JimK
    (male)

JimK HB User
    The symptoms mentioned in the responses so far are some of the ones found with B-12 deficiency. I have this problem due to a lack of the intrinsic factor in the digestive system. This is the factor that allows B-12 to be absorbed in the stomach from foods. I had to take B-12 injections 2-3 times a week for a couple of weeks then once a week and then one a month and now only when I get severe fatigue. Have your doc. check for the intrinsic factor to see if you need injections.

Old 02-16-2003, 06:30 PM   #9
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I went undiagnosed for over 3 yrs myself, not only that it was a neurologist who just poo pooed me with your just getting older and the lesions on the brain are du to aging, I was 43 at the time and I accepted it. A couple years down the road I started having those Llemerret's syndrom(shock attacks on the brain it felt) and my boss insisted on me seeing a Dr as I couldn't carry on a conversation very well and it was an important part of my job and would get my nouns and pronouns confused, so I went back to see her but another doctor was covering for her(thank God)and he talked to me for over an hour and suspected I had a B12 def and ran the tests to confirm it. My level was 86 and I do have some irreversible damage thanks to that smart butt female neuro who didn't give me the time of day and lucky for me she was on vacation the next time I went back. Pernicous has similar symptoms to MS like gait problems, speech, mood swings, memory fade,problem solvingdifficulty (I couldn't even tell the Dr what 99 from 100 was and I had to think long and hard) burning tongue, mouth, the red blood cells are abnormal looking and it goes on and on. The one thing that scared me the most was dementia is the end product if you do not get treatment, I was having occurances of that and was on my way till I started treatments. I still haven't recovered all my memory and just this last year started remembering some bits of my childhood. They figure mine happened from a severe bout of gastritis back in 93 and had to be hospitalized cuz everything was downhill from there on. My Grandmother died from it at the age of 48!

Old 02-23-2003, 06:06 PM   #10
    juju_magoo

juju_magoo HB User
    Hi! I've been diagnosed with sever anemia for the last 6 months. The ironic thing about all this is that I work at a Blood Bank. =) My question is has anyone had problems with dry lips, cracked corners of your lips, and a redness or rash around the lower lip? I did some research after my doctor told me I lick my lips to much and there is a condition called cheilitis. I'm asking this because I have my CBC and iron levels back up to normal but this condition persists and I'm sick and tired of not being able to smile without my mouth bleeding.

Old 02-24-2003, 04:41 AM   #11
    Raymondo
    (male)

Raymondo HB User
    Hi juju-magoo
    Have you been checked for oral candida and vitamin B12 deficiency? I guess you have, considering where you work, but if not, it's worth finding out, as they're often overlooked but can cause just the problems you mention.

Old 02-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #12
    juju_magoo

juju_magoo HB User
    I have been checked for both. I have donated over 3 gallons of platelet pheresis so I have had plenty of testing done. That wasn't the cause of my anemia becuase I did not lose any blood in that procedure. That was my first thought becuase of where I work but everything is negative. My b12 levels were on the high end of normal.

Old 03-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #13
    sav007sav

sav007sav HB User
    Question

Hi. I have a question about symptoms of anemia, since you guys know you have it...I am always cold, most of the time fatigued...I've had periods where I bruise easily...I was wondering if any of these were symptoms and if you could tell me maybe some other symptoms! I know I need to get a blood test to find out, but it would be nice to have more of an idea about some of the things I'm experiencing! Thank you so much!

Old 03-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #14
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
    Some other symptoms of anemia are:

Extreme weakness and tiredness
    Confusion or loss of concentration
    Shortness of breath, especially with
    exertion
    Rapid heartbeat
    Chest pain
    Headache
    Dizziness or fainting
    Difficulty sleeping
    Pale skin color
    White or pale nailbeds

Old 04-21-2003, 07:59 AM   #15
    HeyThere
    Veteran

HeyThere HB User
    Finally some answers. How is everyone doing?

Closed Thread