It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Nothing found again except severe anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #16
    amwood

amwood HB User
    Question

I've got a question for you guys...I haven't brought this up with my doctor yet because I already feel like a hypochondriac as it is...but there have been a couple of times where I've felt REALLY lightheaded/dizzy, and sick to my stomach. Thankfully, it's happened either at night (so I'm already in bed), or when I'm not doing anything (as in just watching tv). It's lasted anywhere from a half hour to an hour and a half, and it's been bad enough that I don't think I could stand up if I wanted to. I've never mentioned it to my doctor because it eventually goes away and I feel fine the next day, so it seems silly to bring up symptoms that are gone. I read somewhere that when someone loses a lot of blood they'll feel lightheaded, etc, but I've never noticed anything.
    Has anyone else ever experienced this? It's happened when my hgb isn't even that low...this may not be related to any of this anemia stuff, but who knows. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 08:40 AM   #17
    amwood

amwood HB User
    Talking

Quietstorm, thank you so much for that info. It sounds like we've experienced some similiar symptoms - sometimes it's a little scary, but of course by the time I see my doctor I'm feeling fine and just can't bring up this stuff. Even though I have an amazing doctor who is really caring and willing to listen, I still feel like a hypochondriac bringing up this stuff! I also am not a fan of doctors, and usually I wait things out and end up feeling better eventually instead of going to the doctor. All of this started when my doctor ran routine blood tests at my annual appointment and found the anemia...I don't know how long it would've taken me to go into her office on my own! Regina, good luck at your appointment today...let us know how it goes! I hope the hematologist can help...take care!

Old 07-22-2003, 03:00 PM   #18
    QuietStorm4000

QuietStorm4000 HB User
    Smile

I only found out 'cause I was labeled a "Red Cross Reject!" A friend of mine badgered me into doing my civic duty by donating blood. They hand you this big packet of questions and info. When it was finally my turn I got this really cranky nurse. She started by asking if I'd read all the info(I said yes but, I'd been too busy gabbing with my buddy)and took a blood sample from my EAR. She dropped it into some solution and frowned. She then excused herself to do "further testing." I started to freak out thinking I'd tested positive for AIDS or something. She returned only to announce "YOU'RE UNSATISFATORY!" I asked why and she looked at me with this disgusted expression and stated "WELL! If you'd READ the information..." I felt like a 3rd grader caught not having done their homework. The vampiress went on to reprimand me for my low Hgl level and dismissed me from service! My friend, however, got siphoned and almost passed out!
    But the anemia got me forever banned from future blood drives--so it's not all bad!!!
    HEY! Reginna--how'd it go? We wanna know! We're burning with curiosity. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif

Old 07-23-2003, 08:26 AM   #19
    reginamatthew

reginamatthew HB User
    First of all I wanted to thank both amwood and quietstorm for asking how it went. I apprecitae it even my Family did not ask...lol. It went ok. He was nice and seemed to take alot of time. He said my level had gone from 8 to 10 but my Ferritan was still low. He said he considers me only mildly anemic now and thinks the cause is just iron absorption. He gave me a new prescrition because he said the other helped but it should of helped more. I go back in 6 weeks and if it is not up I will get injections. It is kinda fustrating because I have been this way for 22 years now and all the new is new precription after new one. I am sure I have been on them all at least twice. It is up a little which is very rare for me so I guess thats great! Thanks again for caring!

Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 PM   #20
    amwood

amwood HB User
    Regina, I'm glad to hear that you found a doctor that took the time to listen to you. And, I'm glad your hemoglobin has gone up, although I know how frustrating it is to still not have any answers. It seems like as soon as things start to get a little better, the doctors are content with a "wait and see" approach...even though it seems like all of us know what's going to happen while we're waiting...our iron will drop again because no one ever found out what was wrong! I just don't understand why they don't keep looking for the cause of the anemia, even though things are somewhat better....grrr. But, I'm glad that you have a doctor to see if your iron drops - someone that will actually be able to help you feel better (even if he doesn't know the cause). Hang in there...
    Quietstorm....your Red Cross story was hysterical! I've never heard of a blood sample being taken from your EAR..lol! I'll have to think twice before I donate blood next time...well, if there ever is a next time! Has either of your doctors mentioned anything to you about flying when your hemoglobin is low? My doctor said that if your hgb is 8.5 or below it's best to supplement your flight with oxygen. I'm taking a trip in about a month, and I'd rather not do that...mostly it's a matter of pride, being an otherwise healthly 27 yr old female it seems strange to have to use onboard oxygen! Apparently it has something to do with being at altitude (they only pressurize the cabin to 8,000 ft) and affecting your heart, etc. Have you heard anything about this? Thanks

Old 07-23-2003, 10:03 PM   #21
    nicolle

nicolle HB User
    Wink

You said your periods don't seem that heavy. Mine don't SEEM That bad..just a few days of heavier bleeding but my FEMALE Dr. asked me very personal questions about tampons and how many I go through of what kind (Ultra, Super Plus, Regular), etc.

She said what I experience is NOT normal. It may seem normal to ME because I go through it and am used to it, but it is too much.

Anyway, I do have an ovarian cyst which last year was too small to take out but the fibroids can cause excessive bleeding which can cause anemia.

If you work out, you lose more blood. I first noticed my anemia (weakness and inability to complete a workout combined with 2 picas) after a treadmill run during my period.

Now I am on iron therapy.

What did your GYNE say about your bleeding and whether it was excessive? WEre you checked for fibroids etc?

I have had low iron in the past but never anemic. However, my mom had me on iron since I was young and only tend to get tired if I go off of it for a while.

Old 07-24-2003, 04:37 AM   #22
    QuietStorm4000

QuietStorm4000 HB User
    Talking

If you all don't mind I'm going to start a new thread and call it "Fear of Flying?" I want to answer amwood's question and the new kid on the block's. I'm getting tired of waiting for this lengthy narrative to load and then having to scroll down for about a mile!!

Old 07-24-2003, 04:06 PM   #23
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    Have any of you had your thyroid checked? If not then request a thyroid panel and the antibodies test. Anemia is one of the symptoms. It would be a good idea to rule it out.

Closed Thread