It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Sucrose/and Malabsorption?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2003, 02:31 PM   #1
    chelle32067

chelle32067 HB User
    Post Iron Sucrose/and Malabsorption?

I've had 10 treatments of the Iron Sucrose my Iron levels seemed to be ok after this but all my other levles Protein and Albumin went way low and I ended up in the hospital for two weeks on TPN (TOTAL PATERNAL NUTRITION) I just got out yesterday and my Iron levels are low again I go see my hematologist on Monday. In the hospital my Electrolytes kept going off even though I was getting the TPN I know I have a problem with Malabsorption along with Anemia. I was wondering has anybody else had a problem like this and also the Iron Sucrose doesn't seem to agree with me I am always sick for about the first two days after and I get it twice a week the symptoms are burning, joint pain, and terrible frontal headache above the left eye I have the iron being infused through a PICC line in my arm that goes to my heart and once in awhile I get a real bad chest pains and shortness of breath but I understand that to be a symptom of anemia? This is all pretty new to me because I've always kept my levels up and now this??? can't seem to understand they want to do a bone marrow test on my hip? does anybody know what this might be for with in conjunction with anemia?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
    amwood

amwood HB User
    I've never had such a reaction to the IV iron, but I've only had the Infed infusions. However, I was in the hospital about a year and a half ago and spend 5 days on TPN...not fun! My electrolytes were also way off, but this was related to another health problem. Is your anemia directly related to malabsorption or is it caused by something else? My doctor initially referred me to a hematologist for the iron infusions and to rule out any bone marrow problems. A good deal of your red blood cells are produced from your bone marrow (maybe all but I'm not sure), and if that isn't functioning properly it will eventually lead to anemia. They ruled that out with me but are still looking for the source of GI bleeding. I don't know what would cause your electrolytes to be so out of balance...I haven't heard of that happening from iron infusions but then again, it seems as though everyone on this board has had very different experiences! Best of luck to you

Old 07-28-2003, 04:12 PM   #3
    chelle32067

chelle32067 HB User
    I went to the hematologist today he said that the possibility is that I have chronic anemia disease and he will do a bone marrow test in his office under just freeze the area and only 20 minutes of pain, if this comes back that I have chronic anemia disease he said only Procrit will work but some people it doesn't work for and I might be one of them because I have had alot of Procrit while in the hospital and it didn't help at all. I was wondering did the bone marrow test hurt alot? thanks for the reply

Old 07-29-2003, 08:21 AM   #4
    amwood

amwood HB User
    The hematologist didn't have to do a bone marrow test...he gave me iron infusions and said that if after 6 weeks my hemoglobin was still the same or lower he would do a bone marrow biopsy. Our situations are a little different...my anemia is caused by an unknown GI bleed (I've tested positive several times for hidden blood in my stool), but since they haven't been able to find the source of the bleeding my doctor wanted to rule out any bone marrow problems. Anyway, after six weeks and a few iron infusions my hemoglobin had gone up (although still not in the normal range) so I was able to avoid the biopsy. My iron levels keep going up and down since they haven't found the cause yet, but the fact that my iron does flucuate shows that my bone marrow is working...it just can't keep up!
    Have you looked on the "blood disorder" board on this website? That might be helpful for you too. Also, I find it hard to believe that Procrit is the ONLY option for you, and if it doesn't work you're out of luck...I would get a second opinion if that's what your doctor tells you. Good luck at your appointment... I wish I could be of more help...let me know how it goes.

[This message has been edited by amwood (edited 07-29-2003).]

Old 07-30-2003, 04:59 AM   #5
    chelle32067

chelle32067 HB User
    Thanks for repling,

While I was in the hospital my stool also tested postive for blood, but they just assumed because I had diahrrea that it was normal, what they don't understand is that I've had that undercontrol for 4 months I should have no bleeding and when the doctor did the colonscope in the hospital it was normal so I asked again why the bleeding no idea why??? He is doing the bone marrow testing because to see if my marrow is full of iron, I just am a little leary of the pain. Let me know what happens with your situation and I will keep you posted as to mine have a great day.

Old 07-30-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
    amwood

amwood HB User
    While you were in the hospital did they also do an endoscopy along with the colonoscopy? Just because they didn't see anything with the colonoscopy doesn't mean you're not bleeding from somewhere. I've had 5 different GI tests to find the source of my bleeding since I keep testing positive for hidden blood in my stool. They've pretty much narrowed it down to the small intestine, which just happens to be the hardest area to view and treat. I had a capsule endoscopy (where you swallow a camera and it takes a video as it moves through your small intestine) and that has been the most helpful test so far. Your doctor shouldn't just give up after one test - believe me, there are many more they can do. My doctor has me periodically turn in stool sample cards to see what's going on - maybe your's can do the same to monitor things. Good luck - I know this whole process is sooo frustrating!

Closed Thread