It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How long do paresthesias symptoms persist

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2003, 04:39 AM   #1
    capulet

capulet HB User
    Post How long do paresthesias symptoms persist

I have been recently been diagnosed with B12 deficiency. My symptoms were paresthesias (pins-and-needles tingling especially in my knees) and general muscle weakness, and poor co-ordination. I have now had 9 B12 injections over several weeks and my B12 levels are now quite high. Many of the symptoms have been relieved. However, I still have recurring paresthesias.

I would be interested in hearing from others about how long after commencement of treatment it took for these symptoms to abate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2003, 07:34 PM   #2
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I've had pernicious anemia since '94 and some of the sensations have never abated and some have. My neuro said it depends on how long and how low you were as to whether or not nerves get back to the way they were. My level was at 96 when caught! How high do you have the level now?

Old 08-03-2003, 12:11 AM   #3
    capulet

capulet HB User
    Thank you for sharing your information.

My symptoms (muscle pains) started about eight months ago but my B12 deficiency was only diagnosed about six weeks ago. My B12 level was then 120. By this time I was chronically tired, and my fine motor co-ordination was impaired (general neuropathy).

After the first B12 injections, my symptoms reduced dramatically, but started to reappear after 4-6 days. That pattern has continued. I had a blood test a few days ago and the B12 level was 1500. So the B12 blood level is picking up well. But after the most recent injection the symptoms have not reduced much ? which is both worrying, and dispiriting. I cannot keep boosting the the B12 level as it is already several times above normal.

Test show that I do not have antibodies to Intrinsic Factor so the lack of B12 is possibly due to just a general decline in B12 metabolism owing to age (I am 59). There is also a family history of this sort of condition (also of bowel cancer).

I am still waiting to see a neurologist.

Closed Thread