It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• shortness of breath lying down

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
    LynneJW
    (female)

LynneJW HB User
    Question shortness of breath lying down

After a recent complete blood work, I was told I have borderline iron deficiency anemia. The nurse gave me the results over the phone, but didn't say if I should come in and see the doctor or not. I started taking StressTabs Plus Iron to be on the safe side, but am now experiencing (along with fatigue) shortness of breath when lying down. The feeling is as though I have "forgotten" to breath. I had the same symptoms during the second trimester of both my pregnancies (I had to sleep sitting up to avoid this feeling). All my life I have had good iron levels, even though for a few years I was a vegetarian, and at some points a strict vegan. My iron levels were great, even after giving birth, but now that my youngest is 10 months old, I am having feelings of exhaustion and for the past few nights, shortness of breath. I work out at the gym on a regular basis, and have no problem with my breathing then. This only happens when I am lying down, and is worse when I'm on my left side. Anyone else have this? Could it be something else? I am also taking Synthroid for hypothyriodism, and am having a hard time keeping my levels constant. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
    QuietStorm4000

QuietStorm4000 HB User
    Red face

Hey! Me too!! I've also noticed it to be more pronounced when on my left side and like you only at night. Only when I'm anemic do I have problems at the gym with shortness of breath. My iron is REALLY low (3) but at the moment I'm not anemic. Read the other posts if you want the whole sordid story!!
    Just the kids alone can make you exhausted!! Are you nursing? That can be pretty draining (literally) as well.
    Can anyone out there explain this unpleasant sensation?

Old 07-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
    jasmine30
    Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
    Hi QS,

Ive had an Iron of 3 before.My Doctor put me on Ferrance HP,worked miracles.This was 11-12 years ago.Ive always had Anemia.

I take OTC Ferrous Sulfate now and eat a balanced diet.Also FYI,if you guys didnt know...dont drink Tea at meals.It contains a chemical called Tannin that inhibits the absorbtion of Iron in your food.

When taking an Iron Supplement,take Vitamin C along with it as it boosts the absorbtion of Iron.

Old 07-30-2003, 04:45 AM   #4
    QuietStorm4000

QuietStorm4000 HB User
    Talking

Hey Jasmine,
    What's "Ferrrance HP?" Is it another OTC iron or something else? I was put on IV iron due to lack of adequate absorption. It works but it's not a lot of fun!

Old 08-14-2003, 09:21 PM   #5
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
    Hi, I can relate to the shortness of breath when lying down. My doctor said it's caused by the anemia. Now I'm really confused because I still have it after receiving a bag of intervenous iron 4 weeks ago. They say it takes between 4-6 weeks to build red blood cells, so maybe I'm still building. I always attributed this shortness of breath to panic attacks but who knows, maybe it is the anemia.

Closed Thread