It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF YOUR ANEMIA?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2003, 06:49 PM   #1
    mommy_of_two

mommy_of_two HB User
    Question WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF YOUR ANEMIA?

I am baffled as to the reason for my anemia. I have no external bleeding, have been taking 150 mg per day of iron, and my hemoglobin has gone from 8.4 (5 weeks ago) up to 10.4--and now has dropped to 9.7 after taking the supplements for 3 weeks. I have no idea what to think, and my OBGYN has referred me to an Internist. I would like to know of everyone else's experiences with anemia and what the cause of their anemia was/is??? Thanks for reading, and please reply!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2003, 06:58 PM   #2
    SleepyD

SleepyD HB User
    My anemia was caused from my heavy periods! Although I am only 18 years old, I have exrememly heavy periods which would last only 2 to 3 days. On top of that, I never took any type or iron or vitamin. Another No No for me, was that I never ate meat and rarely ate vegetables. I finally began Iron and eatting meats and veggies, and finally have my life back, so it is possible. It took about 4 months for me to get my iron above level and my doctor said I am still on the lower side of normal, so it does take some time and patience. The best ways to get answers to your questions is to contact your doctor!
    Hang in there
    Denise

Old 08-30-2003, 08:55 AM   #3
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
    No one ever bothered to figure out what caused my anemia. It was pretty severe in February. Right after I started treating it with iron supplements, I started bleeding almost constantly. It was liek having a hole in the bucket that I was trying to fill. Now, I take iron with vitamin C every day just to balance out the amount of blood I am still losing.

There must be a cause for yours. Did they make sure it was iron that you needed and not b-12 or folic acid? If it is iron, you can read the post about common symptoms of anemia. There is some really good advice there about how to get the most out of your iron. Vitamin C helps with your supplements and Calcium will block them.

Old 08-30-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
    amwood

amwood HB User
    I still don't know the cause of my anemia either...but at least my doctors are still trying to figure it out. I've had iron infusions since taking the oral iron supplements didn't help much. The infusions haven't brought me up to normal range, but I'm up a little at least. I'll be getting some labwork back from my hematologist next week and find out what the next step is. Are you only taking 125 mg of iron a day? When my doctor first found out I was anemic she told me to take 325mg of iron 3 times a day! It's hard to tolerate that much iron though, and I found out from my hematologist that it's better to take one pill of 325mg of iron on an empty stomach rather than taking 3 on a full stomach...apparently it's absorbed better on an empty stomach, but not many people can tolerate it...and I'm not one of them!

Old 08-30-2003, 10:24 PM   #5
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
    Hi, my anemia is caused by mal-absorption. I have crohn's disease.
    Amwood are you taking iron supplements (iron pills)along with your iron infusions?

Old 08-31-2003, 02:40 PM   #6
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    I have a recurring history of ovarian cysts that cause heavy and irregular periods, to the point of making me very anemic. I am now taking BCP and a monthly iron/folic acid supplement, along with daily B12/B6.

Old 08-31-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
    QuietStorm4000

QuietStorm4000 HB User
    Talking

No definitive reason for mine. GI dude couldn't find any problems in his area (or should I say MINE), the GYN didn't find anything either (but put me on continuous BC pills to stop all bleeding anyway), the hematologist can't figure it out--he just tops off my iron tank with IV iron when it gets really bad. Even though I don't wish any of you ill, it's nice to know there are others in the same boat (granted it feels like the TITANIC!!!)
    To above--my hubby has Crohns and it really stinks!!! His iron is always low (but not in deficient range) and so far he's not suffered from anemia.

Old 09-01-2003, 08:52 PM   #8
    amwood

amwood HB User
    Dorri, in response to your question, no I'm not taking iron supplements now. I asked my hematologist after the first infusion if I needed to continue taking oral iron and he said no, that these iron infusions should bring me well into the normal range. Of course, that hasn't happened yet, but I haven't asked him again if I should start taking iron again. Does anyone else here who gets iron infusions also take iron supplements? I'll be talking with him this week so I think I'll bring that up again...also, has anyone here been told not to exercise while severely anemic? I know Quietstorm is similar to myself in that we'll both exercise no matter how tired we feel! But, my doctor usually tells me not to when my hgb gets too low...I was wondering if anyone else has received the same advice, or if I just have an overly-cautious primary physician!

Old 09-02-2003, 07:26 AM   #9
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
    Hi Amwood:

I live at 6500 ft where there is very little oxygen. Because of that, our bodies create more hgb up here to compensate and carry more O2. That is why athletes like to train up here. Normal ranges for hgb at this altitude are 14 to 16. Mine was at 8 in February and no one told me not to exercise, but my body seemed to tell me not to. Even now at 13, my lungs burn and I feel almost asthmatic when I go out hiking or even walking. I wonder if we could induce something similar to altitude sickness or some sort of hypoxia by overdoing it. I know I was worried of fainting during ski season being active at 13,000 ft.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:52 AM   #10
    QuietStorm4000

QuietStorm4000 HB User
    Talking

We meet again Amwood!
    My hematologist told me not to bother with the oral iron after I started getting IV iron as it wasn't doing any good anyway. I know there is a danger of iron overload in the case of patients taking oral iron along with IV iron but in our cases I think it would be almost impossible to do so!! Even the IV iron rarely brings my levels into range.
    As to the exercise question my dr. said to go ahead. He claims that my body will only do what it can. He may know my blood but he doesn't know my brain. I'll exercise no matter how horrid I feel. I do notice a marked decrease in my ability to tolerate activity, I'll tire quickly and become short of breath, but I'll finish. Sometimes that hour work-out takes me and hour and a half!! I also notice that I can't run. I DO think I'm being stupid about this one. My body IS telling me to quit but my brain refuses to give in. I doubt this has been "good" for me. I'm my own worst enemy! If you're a bit brainier than I you'll listen a little more carefully to what your body is trying to tell you. You're young, you don't want to do any permanent damage. I'm 43 and was very fortunate to have three healthy babies who are now almost grown. I figure that if I've lived with this for this long I can live with it for longer!

Old 11-06-2003, 05:56 PM   #11
    99 stang
    (female)

99 stang HB User
    The doctors have no idea what the cause of my anemia either. I have been to dealing with it since August, and I am on vitamin c, iron, folic acid, and am just beening weaned off predisone(40mg) I also just starting receiving Procrit (shots) 2 weeks ago to help my body make red blood cells since mine are low, but I am happy to say my count as of last week is up to 9.1 from 4.1 back in August. Good Luck!

Old 11-07-2003, 04:57 PM   #12
    laurie99

laurie99 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mommy_of_two
    I am baffled as to the reason for my anemia. I have no external bleeding, have been taking 150 mg per day of iron, and my hemoglobin has gone from 8.4 (5 weeks ago) up to 10.4--and now has dropped to 9.7 after taking the supplements for 3 weeks. I have no idea what to think, and my OBGYN has referred me to an Internist. I would like to know of everyone else's experiences with anemia and what the cause of their anemia was/is??? Thanks for reading, and please reply!
    I never really knew what the cause of my anemia was either. My hemotoligist diagnosed me with Pure Red Cell Aplasia. I went to the doc because I was feeling very, very tired. My heart pounded with very little exertion, I could hear the pounding in my head. I got very light headed, felt like I was going to faint alot. How I ever let myself get that bad I don't know. I went for blood tests and they called me at home to go back to the hospital right away. My hemoglobin came back at 4.6. They were actually quite shocked that I was able to get around as well as I did. They tested me again when I arrived and it was 4.1. They immediately gave me a blood transfusion......and so it began!
    Over the course of 1 1/2 years I had about 14 blood transfusions and many, many tests, including bone marrow biopsies. But it was still a mystery, they ruled out a thymoma and parvo virus. My iron level was fine. Finally they gave me ATG (anti thymocyte globulin)which is a horse serum and very serious stuff. I eventually did get better, but it was a long haul. Hope things improve for you.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:57 PM   #13
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User
    My anemia is caused by iron deficiency. My gyn. dr. attributes it to heavy periods and fibroids. After going through all the standard GI tests, such as endoscopy, colonoscopy, and small bowel x-rays, which found nothing abnormal, the next step was for me to get a vaginal ultrasound, and they found 4 fibroids. The gyn just put me on a low dose birth control pill to try to lessen my periods, so hopefully the anemia will go away. I also take iron supplements twice a day and a multi-vitamin.

I never knew I was anemic, until I went to donate blood at the Red Cross & was rejected for low iron.

Anyway, I go to get another blood workup in 1 more month (after I've been on the birth control pills for a month) to see if anything has improved.

Old 11-13-2003, 08:07 AM   #14
    Emily Print

Emily Print HB User
    what is cause?

I was ill with anaemia for about 30 years & was told it was due to heavy periods.
    When I reached menopause & stopped my periods & still was anaemic I was thought to have bleeding ulcer.
    A gastroscopy and biopsy showed I had Coeliac Disease, not an ulcer.
    Anaemia can be the only sign of Coeliac (Celiac) disease so if you have otherwise unexplained anaemia get a blood test for Coeliac Disease.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mommy_of_two

Closed Thread