It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• interveous Iron side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #31
    auj7189
    (female)

auj7189 HB User
    Re: interveous Iron side effects

Ok, so I followed the thread back and discovered there's a whole section on anemia!!! And some good reports on IV infusions. That's encouraging. I'm still going with my herbal iron, though. My arm is still sporting a killer bruise from 90 minutes on a IV-like tube to do the iron absorption test on Monday. If they hooked me up 3x a week I'd really be a mess! My right arm has the vein to work with...you can't even see a vein in my left elbow.

Last edited by auj7189; 05-25-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling errors!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #32
    MMR0719
    (female)

MMR0719 HB User

Had infusion #8 yesterday... I did great with them...

I am an "internet junkie" and had to be cautious, but wanted to be educated so I did some research. I think ultimately, it is about knowing your body, your history and how much you trust your doctor...

Good luck to you!! ;-)

Old 05-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #33
    nat451
    (female)

nat451 HB User

I had my first iron infusion with minimal side effects 4 months ago. But I had an iron infusion recently and 2 days later I had chest tightness, shortness of breath, dizzyness, thoracic back pain and a sensation of leg weakness or jelly legs. I went to the ER twice biut they were unsure what was causing the symptoms. I am sure it was from the iron. I have still have the joint aches and muscle tightness and dizzyness a week later. Just wondering how long other people's symptoms lasted? Hopefully these symptoms will end soon! Any advice would be appreciated

Old 05-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #34
    grandkidsrg8
    (female)

grandkidsrg8 HB User

hi i wrote about the hiatal hernia-they are still not sure of that is the cause-but e/t else came back negative. the other iron is called Venofer and that is waht they gave me and I -hat to tell you this-still had a terrible reaction so they had to put me on prednisone- mega mega doses til all the joint pain would go away and before they would give me any IV I had to take 180 mg of Pred and 200 mg of Benadryl- and they still couldn't get more than 100-150 units of iron in me at a time! what herbs are you referring to? good luck to you!!

Last edited by grandkidsrg8; 05-25-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #35
    grandkidsrg8
    (female)

grandkidsrg8 HB User

ask them to give you the benadryl with the saline simultaneously-it dilutes the benadryl-you still get the effect of the benadryl without the "need to get up and run, shaking, restless" feelings. I've been there-read my prevoius posts. good luck

Old 05-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #36
    Barbarah34
    (female)

Barbarah34 HB User

I have that same question. I had mine almost 4 days ago, and I am good for about 1-2 hours after I get up , then I am exhausted, dizzy, canot even remember what I am doing, just really beyond exhausted to the bone. I have to lay down ( this has been a 4 day memorial day weekend for me or lord knows how I would even be able to go to work) I lay down every 2 -3 hours because I cannot bear not to! I am afraid this will continue and I won't be able to function properly at work. My ferritin was 4 and hemo 6.6 before starting so trust me I was beat to begin with ...ANYONE have any thing they can tell me about this? I am scheduled in 2 weeks ( from this past Friday ) and not sure how I can manage,,,please advise?
    Thanks all, any help is appreciated ! Barbara

Last edited by Barbarah34; 05-28-2007 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typographical errors :)

Old 05-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #37
    Barbarah34
    (female)

Barbarah34 HB User

Nate, I posted just today as well after reading yours...I am in the same position , just a little different side effects..I hopep to find some answers will post if I find anything outside the boards here! Barbara

Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #38
    kflack4601
    (female)

kflack4601 HB User

I may have to have the IV iron. I had gastric bypass 4 years ago and even though I have started gaining a little wieght back and able to eat a little more my iron and hemoglobin just keeps dropping. I am on 2 doses a day of the Slow Release FE right now but my Iron is still a 4 and dropping my Hemoglobin can not get above a 8 (last check was 7.3). I have read all the stories on the side effects which I must say scare me a bit, but has anyone had the constipation problems with the IV iron like is with the oral? I also have ovarian cysts all the time and severe abdominal pain all the time also, is any of this related to the Iron issues?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #39
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kflack4601 View Post
    I may have to have the IV iron. I had gastric bypass 4 years ago and even though I have started gaining a little wieght back and able to eat a little more my iron and hemoglobin just keeps dropping. I am on 2 doses a day of the Slow Release FE right now but my Iron is still a 4 and dropping my Hemoglobin can not get above a 8 (last check was 7.3). I have read all the stories on the side effects which I must say scare me a bit, but has anyone had the constipation problems with the IV iron like is with the oral? I also have ovarian cysts all the time and severe abdominal pain all the time also, is any of this related to the Iron issues?
    I had gastric bypass as well, it doesn't matter how much you can eat that affects the iron, it is the part of your intestines and stomach that was bypassed, your body no longer produces the intrinsic factor needed to absorb the iron from the food you do eat. (so the dr. told me). I had my first infusion last month, no side effects for me, best thing I have done for myself in years. I will have to have infusions and b12 shots the rest of my life, as I will never absorb enough orally. Good luck, I hope you feel better real soon.

Last edited by barbw; 06-06-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #40
    Purplesstars
    (female)

Purplesstars HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anah View Post
    Hi, just found this thread and am wondering if I REALLY had to have the blood transfusion I had 2 years ago........my hemoglobin was 7, the morning my doctors office got my test results and called me to tell me to go to the hospital (and have someone else drive me) I had already driven my 8 yr. old daughter to school, had to pull off the road on the way home because i was disoriented and dizzy, thought I was going to faint................

I called my husband and he came home and drove me to the hospital, my doctor told me I HAD to have 2 units of blood because my hemoglobin was so low he was afraid of heart problems........I had been having very irregular heart beats for several days.............I wasn't comfortable recieving blood but he didn't mention another alternative.......Why do your doctors prefer IV iron over transfusion? Because of the risk of infection from blood.....????
    Thanks
    Doctor's like iron infusions due to the neccesary concentrated iron which our bodies need. I am presently doing infusions. My hematologist told me there wasn't any side effects to mention. He was wrong. There are two kinds of iron infusion one is sucralose based which has a higher tolerance in patients. The other is dextran which has a higher chance of major allergy reactions and side effects.

I'm getting the sucrose based iron infusion. I got fever, hot flashes. extreme fatigue, back-joint and arm pain. The nurses tell me that it's highly unlikely from the infusions. But I beg to differ. I've done some internet research only to have my symptoms validated. The only difference is that the next day the fatigue is not as bad as the day of infusion. My infusions last 4-5 hours per treatment. I go twice a week. I had to stop working because I couldn't function at all and became a danger to my clients.

I am a PCW and I don't get treated any different from any one else. Keep asking questions and do your own research. Go to ***** for research purpose (there's a list of all possible side effects listed).

I've been suffering from anemia since childhood. Now it's gotten to the point that the doctors couldn't ignore.

Good luck.

Last edited by Purplesstars; 06-22-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Old 06-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #41
    auj7189
    (female)

auj7189 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: interveous Iron side effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grandkidsrg8 View Post
    ask them to give you the benadryl with the saline simultaneously-it dilutes the benadryl-you still get the effect of the benadryl without the "need to get up and run, shaking, restless" feelings. I've been there-read my prevoius posts. good luck
    I had my first infusion 23 hours ago and am doing well. I'd forgotten about your advice of the benadryl...or that you had Venofer. Thankfully, the only reaction I had was that my blood pressure dropped so they gave me more saline before letting me go. I did get a headache, maybe due to the drop in BP, or maybe tagging alonge from the headache I woke up with. That's the second morning this week I've awakened with a headache and the first one was a killer (woke me up at 3am). I very seldom get headaches.

You asked what herbs I was using. It was a mixture from a local herbalist and contained beet root powder, alfalfa leaf & watercress. I think it did help to some extent (my ferritin went from 2 to 5 in two months...although that almost seems like an error in the test), but I decided to bite the bullet and go for the IVs anyway. My performance at work really stinks and I need to get with the program there. Some major changes are about to go into place and I don't want to chance. Also, I'm going to school and can't afford to be sleeping so much when I need to be writing these stinkin' papers.

I have 3 more infusions next week and one more the following week. It was 200mg of Venofer. I slept about 25 minutes of the hour infusion, so I guess it didn't bother me!!! (I was trying to read from my textbook and it tends to put me to sleep...)

Old 07-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #42
    auj7189
    (female)

auj7189 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: interveous Iron side effects

I an SOOOOO happy to report that I've finished my infusion sessions and am doing fine!!! I just wanted to let everyone know that sometimes the bad side effects don't happen, so please have hope!!

I'll have another CBC four weeks after my last shot.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 AM   #43
    CHart6283
    (female)

CHart6283 HB User

Hello Everyone! I'm new to the board, so please bare with me. I had an iron infusion yesterday. I felt pretty good afterwards, but last night started having pains in my heart (at least that's how I would explain it). From what I've been reading this is somewhat normal?! I must have woke up 10 times last night because of it. I've been thinking about calling the hospital or going to the emergency room, but not sure what I should do. Any advice? Anyone have the same problem? Does it go away eventually? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #44
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

CHART:
    I'm sorry that you are not feeling well. I am not a Dr. and have not had experience with infusion but I am anemic. Whenever you have any symptoms as you described you need to notify your Doc. that gave you the infusion to let them know that you are having a reaction. Im sure that it will go away but to be safe it should be reported. Maybe thay can give you something for it.

I had SX for heavy periods the Endometrial Ablation, afterwards I had an extreme bout of Tachycardia for at least 12 hours after they gave me all those meds. It did go away but was not fun feeling it. I was in too much pain to even call the Doc. I already had this to a degree before SX from the anemia. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #45
    genie68LVA
    (female)

genie68LVA HB User
    Red face Re: interveous Iron side effects

I received my first infusion on Tuesday, but do not have a clue what kind of iron my hematologist used. I, too, was the only iron person in the chemo room...a very humbling experience. During the hours and hours of infusion I had no side effects other than the cotton mouth and tingling from the benadryl at the beginning. Wednesday I felt perky and actually drove out to my classroom and to WallyWorld for groceries, but the perkiness ended about 1:00. I didn't think I was going to be able to drive the car home without running off the road. From then on it has been dowhill and almost unbearable.... grim joint and bone aching and pain in my hips, legs, and hands... headache... horrible nausea - have only eaten bits of mashed potatoes and rice...chills and fever...and NO sleep for two nights. Thursday and Friday I thought I was short for this world. I started a new thread yesterday evening, and when I checked this morning was fortunate that someone read it and sent me to this thread. I did sleep last night after taking my codene (I have disc problems and spasms for which I take the codene) and over the counter sleep aids...so I am a bit better this morning. My headache is better, I am not as tired because I FINALLY slept, and my aching does not at this point - 9:45 AM -seem to be as bad...and my finger joints are allowing me to type without so much pain. Thursday and Friday not even codene off and on all day would stop the pain. I was MISERABLE not knowing what was going on. Thank goodness for this thread...what all of you have experienced before me has shed lots of light on my present situation. I go back to the hematologist on the 22nd and will ask her about the type of iron she is giving me and about the HORRIBILE side effects. I will be curious to see if she ignores my agony as if there are no side problems from infusions. I have no idea if she is going to infuse again or not. My counts were so low that I would assume I will be getting more of the "black stuff of life"!!!! I certainly hope I do not have the same problems if she does do another infusion because I will NOT be able to go into the classroom. I am a retired 68 year old former middle school English teacher that has gone back to the school to keep the in-school suspension room for money to buy yarn for knitting and fiber for spinning. Needless-to-say, I have not done any knitting or spinning since the infusion... in fact, I have not been able to knit, spin, read, or watch TV. I have not wanted any light in the room my head has hurt so badly. I am hoping that I am now over that initial reaction that so many of you have reported, and that I am going to be better for the weekend. How long did your reaction last? Thanks for all of the information....Genie

Closed Thread