It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iv Iron Reactions????anyone??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2004, 05:43 AM   #1
    MOMICULA

MOMICULA HB User
    Iv Iron Reactions????anyone??

Hi, I just had my 2nd infusion. The 1st one my throat started to get scratchy..then for a week afterwards I felt terrible. My joints, muscles, entire body was very sore. I was terribly exhausted, just felt terrible. This time I didn't feel too bad the day after, but on the 2nd day I felt like I had been hit by a bus. Joints, muscles, some tiny red/purple-ish spots, if you touch me it feels sore, I feel foggy and very very tired. My neck hurts, across my shoulders, hips, knees, hands, feet, etc. I even feel that my heart rate is off, and W/little effort I get shortness of breath. Now I know these are symptoms of anemia, but I didn't feel this bad right before the infusions. Does anyone else have reactions to IV iron? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #2
    MOMICULA

MOMICULA HB User
    Re: Iv Iron Reactions????anyone??

ok, guess no one wants to help.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOMICULA
    Hi, I just had my 2nd infusion. The 1st one my throat started to get scratchy..then for a week afterwards I felt terrible. My joints, muscles, entire body was very sore. I was terribly exhausted, just felt terrible. This time I didn't feel too bad the day after, but on the 2nd day I felt like I had been hit by a bus. Joints, muscles, some tiny red/purple-ish spots, if you touch me it feels sore, I feel foggy and very very tired. My neck hurts, across my shoulders, hips, knees, hands, feet, etc. I even feel that my heart rate is off, and W/little effort I get shortness of breath. Now I know these are symptoms of anemia, but I didn't feel this bad right before the infusions. Does anyone else have reactions to IV iron? Thanks
    I had an iron infusion 2 years ago. The iron was infused over a 6 hour period of time. During the infusion, I had some what severe left shoulder pain. They had to slow the infusion down to barely dripping at all. The next day I ran a fever of 101.0 I felt like I had the flu and I broke out into the little red dots(Petechae) I slept quite a bit and took some tylenol for discomfort. The aches and pains went away in about 3 days with each day a little less uncomfortable than the first. My left shoulder throbbed from time to time, for the next 2 weeks, just like it did during the infusion. A lymphnode in my chest area on the left side popped out during the three days I was in recovering mode. I went outside and sat in the sun (spring warmth) I felt better each time I did that. I only stayed in the sun about 10 minutes each trip. It helped my aches and pains better than the tylenol. I was told by my hemo that the more often the iron is given IV, or injection, the more the possibility is that the iron might accumulate around a major organ like the spleen, kidney etc. I have not had another infusion and although I have some weakness and a low iron count, I will be putting off getting an iron infusion until the risks of not having iron out way the risks of organ failure from the infusion.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
    amwood

amwood HB User

I've never had a reaction to the IV iron like what you've described, but I know other women here have had reactions. From what I understand - from reading other posts and from talking with my MD - reactions to the IV iron can vary. I've heard of reactions ranging from chest pain and difficulty breathing to many of the symptoms you described. Did you mention this to your hemotologist? I don't know if you have any other infusions scheduled, but if you do I'd mention this before the next IV. There are different types and dosages of IV iron they can give you, so he may be able to adjust things so you actually feel better after the IV instead of feeling worse! Good luck!

Old 02-04-2004, 06:39 AM   #5
    suttles

suttles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marimac
    I had an iron infusion 2 years ago. The iron was infused over a 6 hour period of time. During the infusion, I had some what severe left shoulder pain. They had to slow the infusion down to barely dripping at all. The next day I ran a fever of 101.0 I felt like I had the flu and I broke out into the little red dots(Petechae) I slept quite a bit and took some tylenol for discomfort. The aches and pains went away in about 3 days with each day a little less uncomfortable than the first. My left shoulder throbbed from time to time, for the next 2 weeks, just like it did during the infusion. A lymphnode in my chest area on the left side popped out during the three days I was in recovering mode. I went outside and sat in the sun (spring warmth) I felt better each time I did that. I only stayed in the sun about 10 minutes each trip. It helped my aches and pains better than the tylenol. I was told by my hemo that the more often the iron is given IV, or injection, the more the possibility is that the iron might accumulate around a major organ like the spleen, kidney etc. I have not had another infusion and although I have some weakness and a low iron count, I will be putting off getting an iron infusion until the risks of not having iron out way the risks of organ failure from the infusion.
    I hope I am doing this right in trying to reply.
    Thanks for your response about the same symptoms on the Freeing feet and hands. But do you think having normal everything else related to iron can cause symptoms everything but the Ferrritin?

I also want to maybe mention that it has been my experience that Vit C the ascorbic acid powder has helped with reactions to some allergies. I do have a lot of other health issues. My immune system does not work right. My dr did some tests for CFS and it was very detailed on all kilnds of killer cells and subsets of killer cells and some vere high some were low. So through the years of being sick I found that the Vit C has helped. Supposedly you can take it until bowel tolerance. There are some articles in books on it and you might be able to do a search. I don't know if I can mention anything since I have never posted on any forums until now. I have a hard time understanding some of the rules. I am not sure what a thread is. I hope your next iron infusion is not as hard on you. I know what it is like to have problems that don't seem to fit the text book.

Sincerely,

Suttles

Closed Thread