It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Iron

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2004, 05:20 PM   #16
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Doctors are missing it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dear Maggie
    ... because they think hemolysis shows up in the blood counts. It may not.

I've looked at what a lab orders for anemia in our largest city of Alaska, and they don't check the red blood cells for anything. Sad story (hemoglobin & hematocrit is all - not even CBC)
    ... even blood counts can look ok and NOT be OK

Do you know your Retic ratio?

and....

There is a type of anemia, hemolytic anemia, that is cause from a chemical in many cleaning and degreaser products used extensively in the USA over the last 50 years; part of the symptoms, per YAHOO definition is

These are symptoms of hemolytic anemia *
    Chills
    Fatigue
    Pale color
    Shortness of breath
    Rapid heart rate
    Yellow skin color (jaundice)
    Dark urine (indicative of blood in urine - never dismiss this! Stop exposure immediately!)
    Enlarged spleen

AND, then it targets the kidneys and liver and there is
    Central Nervous System damage showing up sometimes as
    Loose your temper easily?
    Short term memory loss
    Difficulty concentrating
    Personality changes to 'grumpy' - Extreme Irritability
    All the time Depression
    Suicidal Tendencies

People share about a dizziness and collapsing and as soon as they are given oxygen, they are ok.

The chemical is 2-butoxyethanol and it is also called ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. Doctors don't seem to recognize it as the primary source of harm, but many, many times treat the secondary problems related to endocrine disruption and the above ... should it be grouped together with what has come to be known as 'gulf war syndrome'? Is our military particularly harmed by it? These chemicals have been identified by the Govt as solvents troops were exposed to in gulf war; (& most likely today, too) but they don't know how harmful it is. It is in paint, varnishes, automotive products, cleaners and degreasers in general.

To find more info search on the internet. Just put in 2-butoxyethanol and the pages go on and on and on. When you see MSDS that stands for material safety data sheet. You have to memorize the warning signs, because they are in many every day cleaning products, and the chemical is not named, only the warnings given.

It is the red blood cells that are damaged. Ask for the Retic ratio and ask for a lab tech to comment on the red blood cells. And realize 2-butoxyethanol causes:

Narcosis
    Damage to the kidney
    Damage to the liver
    Present an abnormal blood picture showing: Erythropenia
    Present an abnormal blood picture showing: Reticulocytosis
    Present an abnormal blood picture showing: Granulocytosis
    Present an abnormal blood picture showing: Leukocytosis
    Likely to Cause Fragility of Erythrocytes
    Likely to Cause Hematuria

from Hemat = blood and
    uria = of urine
    Hematuria simply means blood in the urine

Causes Central Nervous System (CNS) DEPRESSION *
    Loss of taste
    Headaches and Stupor.
    Causes skin irritation.
    Causes severe eye irritation - damage to tissue possible
    Irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract

Before it shows up in the blood counts it can be compensating hemolytic anemia as bone marrow compensates for the premature destruction of red blood cells, but these new red blood cells are low fuctioning, not able to do all blood cells need to do with iron/oxygen.
    Do you happen to know any brand names or household cleaners that have that chemical formula that you are talking about.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 05:29 PM   #17
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Low Iron

Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuietStorm402000
    Hi All! The Pale Posse meets again!
    I wanted to ask a couple of you about your iron issues--Robste and Merimac--you sound like you have problems similar to mine. I'm 44 and the iron deficiency is NOT budging! I saw my hematologist yet again yesterday (3 years with him and counting) and though my Hgl was just a tad under "normal" my Ferritin will NOT rise no matter what we've tried. I've even gone thru SEVERAL IV infusions of iron and I just can't store it. My Ferritin usually measures 3 or 4 and he can not understand why my Hgl is so "good" right now. I did all the same tests as you guys and all of 'em were normal. I even went on continuous BCPs to stop my periods all together though they weren't heavy and still my iron hasn't budged. Have either of you been told WHY this is happening??? I'm lucky in that my Hgl has never plunged below a 10 (I can't imagine cause that feels awful!) The IV iron will bring up my Hgl in a pinch BUT it doesn't last. I'm a gym rat and I'm having real isssues with getting thru a simple workout--I'm exahusted! My dr. claims that as long as I'm not actually anemic I should not notice any deficits. I'M TIRED all the time and I sleep like Mt Everest at least 9 hours a night (and I'm about as mobile come morning!)
    QS
    Hey, Panik--so glad you're back and feeling fine!!
    Good Luck to you Cassa on your trip thru the testing maze!
    I have done personal research on this subject to try to improve my ability to function and I came across an article regarding iron storage somewhere. I can't remember anything except the part that said that if you were taking in iron and it was not improving your storage amounts that the iron might be getting stored in the wrong places, like the kidney, spleen, and around organs rather than in the proper storage sites. The article went on to say that this could result in kidney failure and iron toxicity that would result in more symptoms of fatigue etc, than you would have at slightly decreased hemoglobin levels. In fact there are some diseases I have read about in which ironoverload occurs, the iron levels are too high and people have to go get treatments for that. I don't know if this information will be a help or not, but it is another angle of this puzzle to explore. I think the disease is hemachromatosis where there is too much iron,..

Old 03-14-2004, 01:20 PM   #18
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User

Thanks Marimac--I too have done oodles of research but it's so hard to sort fact from fiction as well as from opinion! I've read several studies which confirm decreased aerobic performance in iron deficient (non anemic) athletes. I even read one study that claimed having a Ferritin level of 5 is normal. Even then I'm STILL below normal!! As for the iron overload--I did ask my hematologist about that as I was going for so many infusions in an attempt to bring up my iron stores. I worried that perhaps I'd start rusting from the inside out! He assured me that I would be in no danger of this as the Ferritin level is an accurate predictor of actual storage. He was TRYING to overload me a little to get some to stick around! NOTHING worked! I know someone with the iron overload problem so he's supposed to let them take a pint of blood out every so often to help drain off some of the iron. I asked him if maybe we could get together!!

Old 03-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #19
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User

This is all so confusing, isn't it? At this point, after exhausting other measures to "cure" my iron deficiency anemia (caused probably by heavy periods & fibroids), I am going to have a hysterectomy. I know that sounds very drastic, but I hate taking the low dose birth control pills to try to lessen my period (yes, lessened it, but it lasts twice as long!) The birth control pills aren't working for me, I can't have the fibroids removed, because they are embedded in the uterus wall & it would be much too risky. Since I'm 44 years old, I could possibly have 8 or 9 more years until menopause, and I don't want to wait that long with a "wait & see" attitude to see if the fibroids shrink by then. I figure my health is more at risk being anemic for 8 or 9 years. And, I don't want to take Lupron to try to shrink the fibroids, because that would put me into immediate menopause & I don't want to take estrogen or hormones. So...after much pondering this, I've decided to go with a hysterectomy, but I will be keeping my ovaries, so that I will not go into early menopause or have to take hormones.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #20
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User

That is a tough decision Robste but you know what's best for you. If this has been going on for a while perhaps it'll be a real relief. I'm guessing that since we're exactly the same age you're also done having children? I've got three and that's plenty!! I've been on low dose BCPs for over a year and they work very well for me. Because I take them continuously I don't get any periods. Oddly that hasn't helped my iron issue one iota!! Mine were never bad but I've been advised that I can't afford to lose any blood. However, due to my age the GYN doesn't want me to stay on BCPs. Don't know what I'll be forced to decide upon then. One blood count at a time!! I'm sure you'll find loads of support on the women's health board. Let us know what's happening.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #21
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User

Kritter, that's interesting that your dr. doesn't want you to keep taking the birth control pills because of your age. I know women who've taken them until menopause, and if they would have worked better for me, I would probably still want to take them. Are you on a low dose b/c pill? (I was on Alesse)

The decision to have a hysterectomy was not an easy one for me. But, I hate taking hormones, weighed my options, made my decision, and am going to try to make the most of it. Unlike you, I don't have any children though (now), but my husband and I will probably adopt a child in another year or two.

I just want to get rid of my anemia (like everyone else here). Thanks for your input. -Robin

Old 04-02-2004, 07:04 AM   #22
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User

Yep, I'm on Yasmin. It does what it's supposed to do BUT it slowed down my sex drive I'm going to ask my GYN about switching again to see if another brand may have less of an impact. I hope she'll let me stay on BCPs until menopause and we'll discuss it at my next appt.
    When is your surgery? There is a lot of good info on it on the womens' board. Any procedure is scary and you want to be able to ask every last detail.
    Good luck in pursuing adoption. Kids really are worth the trouble. They'll be your biggest source of joy and sorrow but that's life. There's never a dull moment!! With our nest emptying I've taken to adopting puppies--special ones but that's a whole other story.
    Regards!
    Q.S.

Closed Thread