It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Are the tests different for anemia/b-12 defficiency?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
    wise_cookie

wise_cookie HB User
    Are the tests different for anemia/b-12 defficiency?

Are there different tests that have to be done to test for b-12 defficiency or can it all be detected on a CBC or just a plain Hemaglobin/Hematicrit? My doctor drew a CBC on me the other day and I was just wondering if the b-12 could be detected on that test also?

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced unexplained nausea and vomiting when they were first diagnosed? I have had it frequently along with several of the common symptoms. I have been set up with an appointment to see a gastroenterologist next month. I was just curious if anyone else had this happen to them?

1992 - Anterior Cervical Fusion C6-7
    1995 - Lumbar Laminectomy L4-5
    1996 - Anterior Cervical Fusion C5-6
    1997 - Lumbar Laminectomy L5-S1
    1998 - Started going to Pain Treatment Center for Chronic Pain
    May 2003 - Lumbar Laminectomy and Decompression of Nerve Root - 2 levels
    June 2003 - Continued problems after surgery....dx Failed Back Syndrome
    Jan 2004 - Scheduled for Anterior Lumbar Fusion L4-5, L5-S1

Last edited by wise_cookie; 02-22-2004 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something I wanted to ask

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Are the tests different for anemia/b-12 defficiency?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wise_cookie
    Are there different tests that have to be done to test for b-12 defficiency or can it all be detected on a CBC or just a plain Hemaglobin/Hematicrit? My doctor drew a CBC on me the other day and I was just wondering if the b-12 could be detected on that test also?

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced unexplained nausea and vomiting when they were first diagnosed? I have had it frequently along with several of the common symptoms. I have been set up with an appointment to see a gastroenterologist next month. I was just curious if anyone else had this happen to them?
    The B-12 levels in the blood can only be detected in two specific tests. The first test is a blood test specifically for vitamin 12 levels of how much you have stored, and a test called a Schillings test that measures how much B-12 is being utilized that you have taken in.
    The CBC measures hemeglobin, number of red cells and the balance of the red blood cells to the volume of blood. Most Doctors order a peripheral smear and a differential if they are looking for information on how the blood is doing and can tell by the results if there is anemia present, if so what kind of anemia( what are the blood cells doing or not doing to help the body) and if the numbers of certain types of blood cells are the right amount. The peripheral smear tells what type of blood cells are present and if they are shaped in the right way or if not what is wrong.

Old 02-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
    NChar

NChar HB User

IF you have been deficient long enough to alter your red blood cells then yes it will show up.

Here are some of the things that can be off due to prenicious anemia. (B12 Deficiency)

CBC results that show low hematocrit and hemoglobin with elevated MCV (low red blood cell count with large-sized red blood cells)
    CBC showing low white blood count and low platelets
    low reticulocyte count
    bone marrow examination (only needed if diagnosis is unclear)
    serum LDH
    below normal serum Vitamin B-12 level

I've read enough to come to the conclusion that alot of people are deficient without having key signs on your CBC. MCV is usally the the most sensitive one. When it's high they call it megaloblastic anemia. Prenicious anemia is a form of megalobastic anemia.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
    wise_cookie

wise_cookie HB User

Thanks guys........that info helps me a lot.

1992 - Anterior Cervical Fusion C6-7
    1995 - Lumbar Laminectomy L4-5
    1996 - Anterior Cervical Fusion C5-6
    1997 - Lumbar Laminectomy L5-S1
    1998 - Started going to Pain Treatment Center for Chronic Pain
    May 2003 - Lumbar Laminectomy and Decompression of Nerve Root - 2 levels
    June 2003 - Continued problems after surgery....dx Failed Back Syndrome
    Jan 2004 - Scheduled for Anterior Lumbar Fusion L4-5, L5-S1

Closed Thread