It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• obg says "slightly anemic" what does she mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2004, 05:11 PM   #1
    bacbiect

bacbiect HB User
    Question obg says "slightly anemic" what does she mean?

I went to the OBG for a regular pap check up and she said "you are slighty anemic" and that my blood count...or was it iron count was at about 11 and the norm is 15. what does she mean. what do i do in this case? i have been feeling sleepy lately and disconnected throughout the day. is this the cause?
    i am so confused, what advice do you have?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: obg says "slightly anemic" what does she mean?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bacbiect
    I went to the OBG for a regular pap check up and she said "you are slighty anemic" and that my blood count...or was it iron count was at about 11 and the norm is 15. what does she mean. what do i do in this case? i have been feeling sleepy lately and disconnected throughout the day. is this the cause?
    She means that if you live in an area with a high altitude and your Hemoglobin is 11 that you would probably feel better if it were at 15.

At Sea level, say Florida or any of the coastal areas of the southern US. a Hemoglobin of 11 would not even be remarkable because the range of normal is considered to be 12 to 14 at sea level.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
    bacbiect

bacbiect HB User

I live in central Connecticut...is that a high altitude?

Old 04-01-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Quote:
    If you live along the coast, you are at sea level if you live further inland the elevation would be higher, but I don't know how high it is. That would be something you could find out by looking up the state on your browser

Old 04-01-2004, 05:49 AM   #5
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Quote:
    If you live at the sea shore, it is sea level. I don't know how high the elevation is in the inland area but you can research that on your browser.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
    bacbiect

bacbiect HB User

what are the risks of being as my ob says "slightly anemic" and having a low hemoglobin count? should i be concerned?

Old 04-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Quote:
    what are the risks of being as my ob says "slightly anemic" and having a low hemoglobin count? should i be concerned?
    Are you pregnant? If so, you need to make sure you are taking your prenatal vitamins and eating iron rich foods. If you are not pregnant you still should be aware of your nutrition. Other than feeling a little tireder than you might expect to be, there might be no symptoms at all. There are a lot of people running around with very low hemaglobin that do not even know they are low. The problems that cause symptoms are usually effecting the breathing, or sleep, or are causing some one to catch colds too easily etc.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
    bacbiect

bacbiect HB User

not prego yet, but plan on it within a couple of years. I started taking iron supps. this week, so we will see how it helps.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:03 PM   #9
    dagmarharris

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
    I was very anemic for years. I think woman often are. 11 actually is really not bad at all. I went down to 5.3 and got faint and very weak. I had to get on a birth control, so my periods were under control. I took a depro shot, first to stop the period for 3 months.
    I am very sure I walked around at 8 for years and never knew it.
    I just had very bad periods.
    I upped from 5.3 to about 9 or 10 and was able to get back to life. It took me a good month taking iron pills and eating meat and lots of greens every day!
    Really at 11 my dr. would have been so happy to say I was almost cured.
    I think I made it up to 14 eventually. I bet I am about that or 15 now.
    Good luck but don't imagine that you are very bad. Believe me I was so much worse....and like I said I probably walked around way lower than you for years! Are you periods very heavy still?
    ~dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 04-18-2004 at 11:05 PM.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:42 AM   #10
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

Actually, I have read that most women of childbearing age are slightly anemic. We lose blood, but I have also read that it makes us slightly more healthy to have the older blood purged sooner and make more. When your periods are way too heavy, though, you don't have enough mature blood cells around and you do run the risk of some more serious problems like shortness of breath and difficulty sleeping

Regardless, if you have questions, you should call your doc and ask. And, unless she told you to take iron supplements, you shouldn't be taking them. If you are only slightly anemic, a few dietary changes can probably correct the problem. When you become more anemic, you need the iron supplements to get over it. There is a thread several months back that lists foods that are high in iron. It also explains that you should eat meat and veggie sources of iron at the same time to get the most out of it. Also, make sure you get vitamin C when you get the iron. And, make sure not to eat any calcium when at the same time. So, get your dairy at a different time of day than you get your vitamin C and iron.

Closed Thread