It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia from heavy menstrual flow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
    fairchild

fairchild HB User
    Anemia from heavy menstrual flow

My doctor told me that I have anemia from heavy menstrual flow. He told me to see a gyno. I was wondering, does anyone have this same problem and how do you treat it?

Last edited by fairchild; 04-05-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Re: Anemia from heavy menstrual flow

Read the other posts. Many women here are experiencing anemia as a result of heavy periods. Although mine weren't particularly heavy my body can't seem to absorb adequate amounts of iron so I really couldn't afford to lose any. At the advice of my dostors I went on continuous BCPs (birth control pills.) When taken with no break you do not get your period at all. Other women have opted for thermablation (sp?) where the inside lining of your uterus is destroyed thru heat or electric current. Once destroyed you no longer have much bleeding but you can't have children. It also can only be done on an otherwise "healthy" uterus. Check the women's health board for more info on this. Your GYN can present the options that would be best for you.
    If you've been advised by your dr to take iron tablets and follow that advice religiously as well as consume plenty of iron rich foods (so much for that vegetarian lifestyle of mine) your body should be able to recover or at least maintain adequate blood levels. Good Luck!
    Q.S.
    P.S. Don't be shy about asking your dr TONS of questions! Write them down so you don't forget and ask him/her to EXPLAIN everything. THAT'S what you're paying them for!! Ask what normal blood levels are, where yours fall and what that can cause. It's OK to be a pain in the butt!!

Closed Thread