It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• question about niferex 150 forte

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    question about niferex 150 forte

I was prescribed niferex 150 forte for an iron problem.Im taking it twice a day.Did any of those that were prescribed it, get any info from your doctor about food interaction problems?I usually trust my doctor but i read on a website that dairy foods will cause and absorption problem with my iron.He also didnt mention the fact that your not supposed to take antiacids close to the time you take the iron pill.To anyone that takes these iron pills,did your doctor tell you about the dairy foods and antiacid interactions?Im really upset because ive been taking my iron pill with a slimfast in the morning.Im due too have more blood tests early next week.Gee i sure hope taking the pills with the slimfast wont give a false reading.Thanks for listening.Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: question about niferex 150 forte

Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzyshop1
    I was prescribed niferex 150 forte for an iron problem.Im taking it twice a day.Did any of those that were prescribed it, get any info from your doctor about food interaction problems?I usually trust my doctor but i read on a website that dairy foods will cause and absorption problem with my iron.He also didnt mention the fact that your not supposed to take antiacids close to the time you take the iron pill.To anyone that takes these iron pills,did your doctor tell you about the dairy foods and antiacid interactions?Im really upset because ive been taking my iron pill with a slimfast in the morning.Im due too have more blood tests early next week.Gee i sure hope taking the pills with the slimfast wont give a false reading.Thanks for listening.Take care.
    I think you may be ok taking the iron with the slimfast because slim fast has other vitamins in it that would promote the utilization of the iron. However, you are correct that if you were drinking whole milk with the iron or taking a supplement like fosomax you might have some absorption problems. I took it for a while and could not absorb the iron at all it would digest in my stomach and come back up. So we had to do infusions for a while. But it is great if it works for you.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:30 PM   #3
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Smile Re: question about niferex 150 forte

It would be better if you could take the iron with a glass of orange juice and then wait an hour or so before drinking your Slimfast. You can also take it at night. Just try and take it as far from dinner as possible. The iron is absorbed better on an empty stomach. Don't worry about it "interacting" with anything--it just won't "work" if it's not absorbed well. Some people have a problem with stomach upset from iron supplements. If that's the case just ask your doctor for a different type of iron or have him/her suggest ways to avoid discomfort. There are forms of iron other than oral but you probably don't want to go there!! I, like Marimac, get iron by IV as my body refuses to cooperate!! I don't particularly enjoy being tied up in the backroom of an oncology office but there are far worse fates!!!

Closed Thread