It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
    clb3457
    (female)

clb3457 HB User
    anemia

I have been seeing my doctor for anemia. My first hemoglobin count was 9.4 then it fell to 9.0. she has me on iron and multi vitamin. my hemoglobin count is now 10.5 my ferritin level is 8. I have alot of stomach problems and she is sending me to a gastroneurologist. My question is that I dont feel any better even though my count is 10.5 I am still very tired. my heart races and I am very short of breath and I am freezing all the time. Does anyone know if it takes awhile to feel better once your hemoglobin starts going up again. Thanks for any advice you might have.

The Following User Says Thank You to clb3457 For This Useful Post:
    hotshotman (04-09-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: anemia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clb3457
    I have been seeing my doctor for anemia. My first hemoglobin count was 9.4 then it fell to 9.0. she has me on iron and multi vitamin. my hemoglobin count is now 10.5 my ferritin level is 8. I have alot of stomach problems and she is sending me to a gastroneurologist. My question is that I dont feel any better even though my count is 10.5 I am still very tired. my heart races and I am very short of breath and I am freezing all the time. Does anyone know if it takes awhile to feel better once your hemoglobin starts going up again. Thanks for any advice you might have.
    Do you mean gastroenterologist. If you have bleeding or infection then the anemia may not be the only thing effecting how you feel. If nothing else is causing you to be ill except the anemia, it will take about 6 months to feel up to par. Most people do not notice the fatigue of long term anemia as much as people who have just become anemic. It seems that the body adapts eventually to the lower iron and energy levels. Whereas if it just recently started within the last few months the body is still fighting to maintain balance and trying to "irritate" you into helping it get better. (This is not a good explanation but the best I can do with out going into more wordy discussion.)

Old 05-06-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
    Dee Mann

Dee Mann HB User

I too have been affected with anemia. It seemed like it took a year before I started feeling better. Had fever and chills like the flu. My doc also wanted me to see a gastrointerologist for a test to see if i had a bleeding intestine.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
    clb3457
    (female)

clb3457 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will just have to wait until after I see the stomach doctor. I just cant wait to feel normal again.

Closed Thread