It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemic... again.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
    tropicali

tropicali HB User
    Question Anemic... again.

This month I went to donate blood at a blood drive and found out that my hematocrit was too low to donate, meaning my iron is low. I'm anemic- again. I took iron for a year b/c I was "severely" anemic/iron defficient, and then I stopped (b/c I was better/normal). I'm feeling really sick again and it's getting worse. I get lots of "spells" where I'll feel really lightheaded, nauseous, and tired... I'm not able to sit up and use the computer.. I have to lie down- a lot. I don't want to take iron anymore b/c it makes me really sick, so I was wondering- what will happen if I just don't take iron ever again? I know my iron levels are pretty low right now and I feel pretty bad, but I really don't want to deal w/ taking iron. What will happen to me if my iron levels keep dropping and I don't replenish them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Anemic... again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tropicali
    This month I went to donate blood at a blood drive and found out that my hematocrit was too low to donate, meaning my iron is low. I'm anemic- again. I took iron for a year b/c I was "severely" anemic/iron defficient, and then I stopped (b/c I was better/normal). I'm feeling really sick again and it's getting worse. I get lots of "spells" where I'll feel really lightheaded, nauseous, and tired... I'm not able to sit up and use the computer.. I have to lie down- a lot. I don't want to take iron anymore b/c it makes me really sick, so I was wondering- what will happen if I just don't take iron ever again? I know my iron levels are pretty low right now and I feel pretty bad, but I really don't want to deal w/ taking iron. What will happen to me if my iron levels keep dropping and I don't replenish them?
    Depending on why your levels are low to begin with, you can have congestive heart failure(the heart works too hard but can not make your blood spread oxygen to your organs effectively, that in turn will cause your kidneys to begin to fail to remove toxics from your body, you will begin to swell with excess fluids, your lungs will fill with fluid and you will develop the inability to walk, talk or breathe effectively. That is if you do not have a heart attack first.
    Your hair will fall out, your finger nails will break to nubs no matter how carefully you take care of them, you will be constantly fighting infections and losing. Your memory will become terrible and your brain will feel continuously *****. You will become depressed and will feel less like trying to cope with ordinary problems than ever. Eventually you will die from either system failure(lungs, heart, kidneys, ) or worse, just be suffering a great deal.

Closed Thread