It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Vitamin B-12 deficiency

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
    Nanjee
    (female)

Nanjee HB User
    Question Vitamin B-12 deficiency

Hi everyone .... I have a question for those of you with anemia due to Vitamin B-12 deficiency.
    Can you tell me, please .... do some of the symptoms appear before a low blood vitamin B-12 can be measured ??

I have been searching for 2 years. I have Fibromyalgia, and was doing quite well for years. An occassional flare, but my life went on.

About 3 years ago I began having TERRIBLE problems with IBS - NEVER constipated, but loose stools every day. It has gotten to the point that I don't know what to eat !!
    Now I have daily dizzines, headaches, nausea, extreme weakness and fatigue, ridges in every fingernail, muscle twitches, elevated pain levels in my shoulders and neck (which I think help to contribute to the constant headaches). If I stand to long (or sometimes even sit !!), I become weak and shakey, and have to lie down. The veins in my hands, which were always very pronounced, seem to have disappeared, and the skin on my hands is so dry and almost "tough".
    Mornings are just awful .. racing heart rate, and extremely shakey. I almost dread getting out of bed.
    I questioned my internist about B-12 deficiency, and he wants me to see a gastoenterologist.
    Anyone with any info or helpful words .... I would really appreciate it !!! I am running on empty, and really need some help.
    Thanks so much in advance,
    Nanjee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Vitamin B-12 deficiency

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanjee
    Hi everyone .... I have a question for those of you with anemia due to Vitamin B-12 deficiency.
    Can you tell me, please .... do some of the symptoms appear before a low blood vitamin B-12 can be measured ??

I have been searching for 2 years. I have Fibromyalgia, and was doing quite well for years. An occassional flare, but my life went on.

About 3 years ago I began having TERRIBLE problems with IBS - NEVER constipated, but loose stools every day. It has gotten to the point that I don't know what to eat !!
    Now I have daily dizzines, headaches, nausea, extreme weakness and fatigue, ridges in every fingernail, muscle twitches, elevated pain levels in my shoulders and neck (which I think help to contribute to the constant headaches). If I stand to long (or sometimes even sit !!), I become weak and shakey, and have to lie down. The veins in my hands, which were always very pronounced, seem to have disappeared, and the skin on my hands is so dry and almost "tough".
    Mornings are just awful .. racing heart rate, and extremely shakey. I almost dread getting out of bed.
    I questioned my internist about B-12 deficiency, and he wants me to see a gastoenterologist.
    Anyone with any info or helpful words .... I would really appreciate it !!! I am running on empty, and really need some help.
    Thanks so much in advance,
    Nanjee
    All of those symptoms can be associated with B-12 deficiency as well as Folic Acid Deficiency. The IBS could be causing the marjority of the symptoms and is treatable with many new medications out there. The B-12 is easily replaceable by injection or by the sublingual tablets that you can buy at good pharmacies or nutrition stores. The folic acid has to be addressed as well because nerve damage can continue if you are only treating the B-12 stuff. See your gastroenterologist first. They are very experienced in treating nutritional disorders caused by IBS and Chron's disease. Check to see if your temperature is up as well. This can indicate infection which also needs to be addressed.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
    Nanjee
    (female)

Nanjee HB User
    Re: Vitamin B-12 deficiency

Merimac.....thank you so much for your reply :+)

I see the gastro on Tues for an upper and lower GI series.
    He wants to check for colitis, and ceoliac disease before he proceeds any further. Don't look forward to the tests .... but I will be asleep, so I won't know what is going on thank God.

I will do some research on folic acid .... the nerve damage is what concerns me the most. Especially if it is not reversable.

Thanks again .... happy weekend :+)

Closed Thread