It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Donating blood...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    Donating blood...

Can donating blood cause anemia? I never had any problems with anemia until recently. I used to give blood quite often, and most of the dr's I have spoken to have said that giving blood in the long run would not cause anemia. Then today I went to a gasterinteroligist and he said that it could cause anemia. I was just wondering if anyone else had this experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 05:05 AM   #2
    SmilingAngel
    (female)

SmilingAngel HB User
    Re: Donating blood...

Hi,

it is true, that blood donation can cause anemia. The reason for that is usually a lack of iron in your body, because the body needs iron to produce red blood cells, which are the "parts" of the blood that carry oxygen to all parts of your body. When donating blood you usually donate about 500ml, so your body has to produce new blood, if it is not possible to make new blood, you get anemia.
    Didn´t the people in the hospital etc. where you donated blood check it? Here they check blood and tell you in case you are anemic,... so that you do not spend blood again unless your anemia is treated.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    Re: Donating blood...

I have given blood three times, and each time my hemoglobin was adequite to give blood. Then on the fourth time they said that my iron was too low, and I didn't give it. It has been four months since I gave blood and my iron stores and every thing still haven't increased.

Closed Thread