It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• anemia or not?...help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
    marjs_life

marjs_life HB User
    Unhappy anemia or not?...help

i was just told i have an iron defficiency this is my results can someone pleose enlighten me
    serum iron 9umol/l....normal is (10-33)
    transferrin ibc 66 umoL/L(45-70)
    transferrin satuation14%,,,normal(16-50)
    serum ferritin Assay29ug/L,,(10-290)
    comment
    the iron studies suggest iron defficiency,,the ferritin may be misleadingly elevated to within normal range by concurrant inflamatory disease

is this a bad anemia?...my haemoglobin is 148 ,,,normal is g/L (115-160
    pleose tell me what this means
    marj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: anemia or not?...help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marjs_life
    i was just told i have an iron defficiency this is my results can someone pleose enlighten me
    serum iron 9umol/l....normal is (10-33)
    transferrin ibc 66 umoL/L(45-70)
    transferrin satuation14%,,,normal(16-50)
    serum ferritin Assay29ug/L,,(10-290)
    comment
    the iron studies suggest iron defficiency,,the ferritin may be misleadingly elevated to within normal range by concurrant inflamatory disease

is this a bad anemia?...my haemoglobin is 148 ,,,normal is g/L (115-160
    pleose tell me what this means
    marj
    There are levels of anemia: mild, moderate, severe and profound. Your anemia level meets the mild criteria. Mild anemia can be treated by mild oral iron supplement or increase in red meat in diet. Moderate can be treated by iron supplement. Severe may take additional iron supplementation with B-12 and Folic acid supplements as well. Profound anemia sometimes has to be treated with IV infusions, or blood transfusions.(The treatment recommendations are particular to each case and these are only guidelines.)

Old 07-29-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
    marjs_life

marjs_life HB User

why would my haemoglobin be normal and my iron be low
    would i be having symptoms with iron of 9 when normal is 10 ....can this just happen and what do they mean by concurrantinfection
    read post below
    marj

Old 07-29-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

The hemaeglobin reflects:current condition of blood at the time of draw. The iron level given is the amount of iron available and the serum ferritin is the amount of iron that is stored but not readily available unless certain other circumstances require it. The hemaeglobin can be maintained by a healthy diet, but if your diet were to get poor in nutrition, you would have a difficult time trying to maintain adequate iron supply. The concurrent inflammatory condition may mean that within the blood work ordered that it was discovered that you have an inflammation that is chemically throwing off the results of the serum ferritin to give a false reading. In that case your storage iron might be low as well. The serum ferritin level reflects what is going on at the level of blood cell formation and if it is low the red blood cells may not have enough surface area to carry enough oxygen molecules and might currently or later on impact your breathing. In this conditon you might experience shortness of breath with little effort, you might be pale, experience loss of appetite, or have leg or abdominal cramping. Some people have moderate anemia and have a few minor symptoms. When people have profound anemia unless it was from sudden blood loss, they may adjust and experience no symptoms that they consider uncomfortable. It is definitely a tricky diagnosis and the doctors depend on the blood testing more than the physical symptoms to treat anemia.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
    marjs_life

marjs_life HB User

so should i be experiencing symptoms?...i wasnt until i got tests results...now im scared...it doesnt mean i have cancer or anything does it
    can an infection cause you to go down in iron
    scared here

Old 07-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #6
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Anemia can reflect poor diet, genetic disorders, immune disorders, heavy menstrual periods, postpartum childbirth, there is anemia of chronic disease such as pernicious anemia, lupus, and kidney disease. There are many many more things that cause anemia besides cancer.
    There are many people who are mildly anemic who experience no symptoms. People who experience low blood volume due to profound anemia may experience dizziness, heart palpatations, weight loss get opportunistic infections, or just have a mild fatigue that seems to improve with a long resting period of say 12 hours of sleep rather than 8. Again, anemia is a complicated disorder and shows itself differently in different people depending on people's tolerance of discomfort and depending on the cause of the anemia. There are enough variables to write an entire library on the subject. The most common cause of anemia in women is heavy menstrual flow and the most common cause of anemia in men is an injury related sudden loss of blood. Cancer is the disease you look for after all the simple solutions have been exhausted.

Closed Thread