It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• quick haemoglobin question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
    anonymous_217

anonymous_217 HB User
    quick haemoglobin question

I tried to donate blood yesterday, and was told i couldn't because of a low haemoglobin count.
    I eat well (plenty of red meat, vegtables, legumes, vitamin c, no caffeine etc.) I do get tired easily, but it could of course be other things.
    just wondering, could the fact that i took cocaine (not a lot) a couple of weeks ago have an effect?
    I'd just like to know, before i get a blood test in a couple of days.
    Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: quick haemoglobin question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous_217
    I tried to donate blood yesterday, and was told i couldn't because of a low haemoglobin count.
    I eat well (plenty of red meat, vegtables, legumes, vitamin c, no caffeine etc.) I do get tired easily, but it could of course be other things.
    just wondering, could the fact that i took cocaine (not a lot) a couple of weeks ago have an effect?
    I'd just like to know, before i get a blood test in a couple of days.
    Thanks.
    Probably not, but the cocaine is not a good idea anytime. The long term effects of cocaine is to overstimulate your system with cardiovascular problems. In time it will effect your blood vessels and then you might have bleeding problems.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Also.. how did you do the cocaine? I used to know someone that would use needles and if that was the case, you can't give blood ever again...

Old 11-02-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
    anonymous_217

anonymous_217 HB User

Thanks Merimac,
    I got the blood test results back, and yeah I'm anaemic. I'm low on iron and below normal range on a bunch of other acronyms and long words. My doctor says I'm ok, and has given me Ferrous Sulfate to take daily. I also got to take another blood test every few months.

My doctor says it is not advisable for me to donate blood anymore, but i want to. I think donating blood is one of the most important things i can do. People who are healthy have a responsibility to help those who need it. It costs nothing, and I think feeling lightheaded for an afternoon is easily worth feeling good inside.

And Twizliz, no. I did not use needles. It was a first and last time i ever took drugs (and not fun). And if anyone says they're too scared of needles to donate blood, then stop kidding yourself. I'm so scared of needles, i passed out when i saw the syringe for my yellow fever innoculation, but i manage to donate.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
    Tintin2
    (female)

Tintin2 HB User

The two times I donated blood, I got a letter back saying I was aneamic. It's no use donating blood if you're aneamic since your blood can't be used anyway. You'd go through the trouble for nothing!

Closed Thread