It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• frustrated

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
    pinkangel670
    (female)

pinkangel670 HB User
    frustrated

My ob/gyn referred me to a hematologist when my platelets rose from 500 to 550 and had an iron level of 27, as well as starting me on iron and baby aspirin. I saw the hematologist this month, and my platelets had decreased to 415, but my hemaglobin had dropped to 5.4. I'm exhausted, itching, sneezing, short of breath, sleeping 12-16 hours a day, and my body aches. He asked why I was on baby aspirin and told me to stop taking it. Then he said my blood had nothing to do with a lowered immune system or my other symptoms. He tripled my iron and sent me home to follow up in 2 months. I understand iron deficient anemia can cause high platelets, but are there other tests/advice he could have given me?
    ~pink

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
    lpears123
    (female)

lpears123 HB User
    Re: frustrated

Wow...your hgb is only 5.4...they sent me to the hospital right away when mine was 4.1 but my plt count was only 60,000 so I dont really know whats going on with you...I stayed for almost 5 days and had 4 blood transfusions...I would get checked out again ...maybe even go to the ER ...they finaly found out that I had Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia...with a hgb that low I was told I was really in a lot of trouble, very sick...I have been going to my Hemo doc every 2 wks for the last 2 months for blood work...Good luck and let us know what you find out...

Lori

Old 01-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
    pinkangel670
    (female)

pinkangel670 HB User

Lori,
    Thanks for your reply! I've been to the ER and they sent me home 'to follow up with my doctor sometime the following week'. I won't know if my platelets increase again or if the extra iron is helping for 6 more weeks...sigh. Still frustrated, but am so thankful for finding these boards. They've helped me so much.
    ~pink

Last edited by pinkangel670; 01-13-2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: forgot something

Old 01-13-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Talking Re: frustrated

Do you know why you're anemic? Addressing the iron deficiency is important but it won't help a whole lot if you keep dumping it out. If you have heavy periods has your OB/GYN given you options for dealing with them? Is your GI system involved? "Fixing" the anemia means fixing what's causing it! Having high platelet counts does often accompany iron deficiency anemia (although I never found out the exact reason the two are related.) My platelets are always high and at their highest depending upon the severity of the iron shortage. I'll go up to 700,000 regularly. Usually this isn't flagged unless your level passes a million. I imagine your dr. reccommended asprin to thin your blood as the higher level of platlets can make it thicker. HOWEVER, if you have heavy periods/bleeding asprin can make it worse. Was your ferritin at 27 or the iron? I never have learned the difference. Ferritin is usually the standard test. If your ferritin is a 27 that is usually enough to keep anemia at bay providing your'e not experiencing a lot of blood loss.
    It can be challenging to get some physicians to really listen to your concerns and address them. If you are not satisfied with your current health care practioners by all means search out others. Insurance, or lack thereof, can seriously hinder your efforts but try try again!

Old 02-06-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
    pinkangel670
    (female)

pinkangel670 HB User

kritter,
    my doc said it was the iron that was at 27. Does anyone know if decreased immune system is a sign of anemia or increased platelets? I've been sneezing, itching, sniffling, aching for months, and now I've developed mouth sores. The hemotologist said it had nothing to do with my blood but I'm going to call my pulmonologist tomorrow cuz I'm miserable.
    ~pink

Old 02-06-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Talking Re: frustrated

Anemia is generally determined by the level of Hemoglobin (Hgl) in your blood. Normal levels for women are between 11 and 15. Everyone's "normal" is different. If the anemia is caused by a simple iron deficiency (the most common type) your doctor will prescribe iron supplements. This form of anemia is generally caused by blood loss occurring somewhere in the body faster than you can replace it or by an inablilty to absorb enough iron from your diet to adequately replenish your blood supply. (Iron is one of the "ingredients" your body uses to make blood and specifically hemoglobin-the oxygen carrying componant of your blood) A high level of platelets often accompanies iron deficiency anemia. This is rarely an issue of concern unless the levels become really high.
    What's important is discovering why you're snemic and fixing that. If your Hgl is only 5 I'm puzzled as to why your dr would not be expressing more concern. At that level you must be completely exhausted! Read up on blood level scores and what they mean. There are many sites on the web. If you are not satisfied with the health care you are receiving by all means seek out other caretakers!

Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
    pinkangel670
    (female)

pinkangel670 HB User

No Longer Frustrated!!!
    Got so dizzy and weak Wednesday night I went to the hospital via ambulance, and was found to have a fibroid about 10x2 cm dropped down from my uterus on to my cervex, causing it to dilate, and virtually blocking it. The doctors were stunned I hadn't received any blood with a hemoglobin of 5.4, and proceded to transfuse 2 units before surgery to remove the fibroid and do a D&C. The surgeon said the fibroid HAD to have been growing for 4-6 months, and was similar to 'crowning' in childbirth. I had had 3 pelvic exams and an ultrasound in the past 2 months and this wasn't picked up. So I second kritter's advice...find a healthcare worker that WILL help you, it's worth it. I feel soooo much better. Thanks again to everyone for their help and responses!
    ~pink

Old 02-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
    sdb
    (female)

sdb HB User

Before I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia, I had a ton of mouth sores...They were on my tongue mostly...I think it was pretty close to a case of thrush...After I started taking b12 shots for the PA, the mouth sores disappeared...Has your hemotologist checked your b12 level?

Closed Thread