It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Deficiency Anemia and Premature heartbeats (PVB)?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
    geogal
    (female)

geogal HB User
    Iron Deficiency Anemia and Premature heartbeats (PVB)?

Hello everybody. I am hoping to learn a little bit about what is going on with my body right now.

About a month ago, I started waking up with my heart beating out of my chest. It happened a handful of times and was so rapid, it scared me. I finally made an appointment to get it checked out. Turns out I have iron deficiency anemia. I know they had me on iron supplements after my daughter because I was having fainting spells but I thought I was over that. However, the last few months, I have been so tired all the time. I have no energy and just want to nap during the day. Plus I have been having episodes where I feel faint but actually have not done so. Anyhow, they said I have severe iron deficiency which explains all of that. When they monitored my heart they found premature beats (PVB or ectopic beats).

Has anybody else had troubles with their hearts as a result of anemia? I had an echocardiogram scheduled but had to cancel it because our insurance wouldn't cover enough of it and we're on a tight budget right now. The doctor said that was fine but that if I had any more symptoms I needed to go in. However, in the last two weeks, I haven't had any more episodes.

I am still battling fatigue but I have confidence those iron tablets will do their thing.

So anybody else dealing with this?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Iron Deficiency Anemia and Premature heartbeats (PVB)?

Yes, The heart works on an impulse feedback system and because your iron is low, the oxygen content of your blood is low and is causing the heart to create extra beats in order to try to keep up with the demand for oxygen. It is like when you are walking with some one who has a longer stride than yours and you have to take two steps in order to maintain the exact pace. The iron should alleviate it

Old 03-04-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
    tape7

tape7 HB User
    Re: Iron Deficiency Anemia and Premature heartbeats (PVB)?

Hi Geogal: I'm a 48 year old female going through perimenopause, and have had really heavy periods (started about three years ago). The heavy bleeding caused me to become anemic. I was constantly eating ice and I was so tired I felt like if I closed my eyes to sleep I could die. That's how drowsy I would become. Anyway, I started having really bad problems with pvc's. I could hardly catch my breath sometimes because the irregular beats were so bad. I went on prempro, ( a hormone replacement pill) and get no periods when I take them. It solved all of those problems. I only get an occasional irregular heartbeat. I don't like taking hormone replacement, but just can't function without them. I've tried to get off of them a couple of times, and all of the symptoms returned.

Closed Thread