It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Confused about blood test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
    vtgrl
    (female)

vtgrl HB User
    Confused about blood test results

I had blood drawn in September due to recurring migraines. In addition to the migraines, I am often very tired, get heart palpitations, and have exercise intolerance (which I usually try to push through and run 15-20 miles/week). My relevant values were as follows:
    RBC - 4.17
    HGB - 11.7
    HCT - 35.4
    MCH - 28.1
    MCHC - 33.1
    RDW - 18.8

Even though most of these values are either on the borderline or outside of the normal range, my physician told me they were fine. I still feel that anemia would explain some of my symptoms, but I don't want to be a hypochondriac! Any advice on whether I should seek a second opinion? Anyone had similar values that was helped by iron or other supplements?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Confused about blood test results

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vtgrl
    I had blood drawn in September due to recurring migraines. In addition to the migraines, I am often very tired, get heart palpitations, and have exercise intolerance (which I usually try to push through and run 15-20 miles/week). My relevant values were as follows:
    RBC - 4.17
    HGB - 11.7
    HCT - 35.4
    MCH - 28.1
    MCHC - 33.1
    RDW - 18.8

Even though most of these values are either on the borderline or outside of the normal range, my physician told me they were fine. I still feel that anemia would explain some of my symptoms, but I don't want to be a hypochondriac! Any advice on whether I should seek a second opinion? Anyone had similar values that was helped by iron or other supplements?
    It does not sound like exercise intolerance if you are running any miles at all. Exercise intolerance is usually considered when you are unable to walk a single flight of stairs at a normal pace without losing your breath or balance. At this point there is no numerical indication of anemia by the results you gave except fo the hemoglobin which may be an indication of good hydration.But, does not indicate trouble.

Last edited by Marimac; 01-26-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Closed Thread