It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Reactions to Iron Supplements

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2005, 07:27 AM   #1
    LynnR
    (female)

LynnR HB User
    Reactions to Iron Supplements

Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed by my doctor as Iron Deficiency Anemia. He put me on iron supplements & told me to take 2 a day with Vitamin C.

A few days later I started to have reactions from the iron supplements - dizziness, no appetite at all, vision problems, very upset stomach, etc. He told me to get off of the pills for 4 days & then try them for 2 more days to see what happens. I did as he requested & the symptoms returned when I started to take the supplements again.

Has this happened to anyone? What could be causing this?

Thanks!

Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User
    Re: Reactions to Iron Supplements

I had dizziness before finding out I was anemic. Since taking iron pills ( I am on my 5th day) I have had NO appetite and a really upset stomache. I notice that the Slow FE tablets help with the stomach aches.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
    dalmatinka
    (female)

dalmatinka HB User

I have low iron and ferritin, and have very hard time with iron supplements. I get dizziness, weakness, trouble breathing, rush of adrenaline like feeling throughout my body. I have been taking iron supplement off and on for two years and I had tried different brands and forms. Licvid iron is better and faster absorbed but I am reacting to it in a seconds of taking it. And I take only 1/4 of regular dose. I am so confused to why is this happening to me. I wish that I can help, but I can only sympathize with you and tell you that you are not alone.
    Best in health!

Last edited by dalmatinka; 09-09-2005 at 03:18 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to dalmatinka:
    merit309 (10-11-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatinka For This Useful Post:
    merit309 (10-11-2011)
    Old 02-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
    Susannah
    (female)

Susannah HB User

You might want to look into taking Spirulina (it's a type of algae, you can buy it in pill form). It definitely doesn't have as high of an iron percentage as the regular iron supplements, but it is MUCH better absorbed. Also, since it's natural, I've never heard of anyone having a bad reaction to it. A lot of midwives will use it instead of iron supplements when their pregnant clients become anemic. I used it throughout my pregnancy, and never took the regular prenatal or iron supplements (did add extra folic acid to my regular routine, though), and my iron level was the 2nd best the midwife said she'd ever seen.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I get occasional "low iron" though it's not clinically anemia. I never bother with iron supplements, because I've always gotten constipation and very poor results.
    When I feel anemic these days ("that time of the month") I drink expressed vegetable juice. Carrots, spinach, parsley, apple, a little teeny bit of raw beet are good for anemia. It has almost instantaneous results in my energy level and people tell me "my color looks so good". It usually doesn't look that good. Spirulina also boosts my energy, almost TOO much.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LynnR
    Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed by my doctor as Iron Deficiency Anemia. He put me on iron supplements & told me to take 2 a day with Vitamin C.

A few days later I started to have reactions from the iron supplements - dizziness, no appetite at all, vision problems, very upset stomach, etc. He told me to get off of the pills for 4 days & then try them for 2 more days to see what happens. I did as he requested & the symptoms returned when I started to take the supplements again.

Has this happened to anyone? What could be causing this?

Thanks!

Lynn
    It is a paradox that the very people who seem to be low on iron, or have trouble absorbing iron are also the ones who appear to have allergic reactions to iron or adverse reactions to iron when given supplements. There is a message there some where, that might indicate that rather than taking the supplements, we need to find a way to get our bodies to utilize the available iron in foods. That may mean rearranging the foods we eat so that they do not compete with available iron. I have read that calcium will block iron absorption, and I will bet that there are other things that stop it too. Of course if you are losing blood in any way, then that has to be addressed because no iron pill in the world can compete with blood loss. But other areas need to be looked at, just my humble opinion because I too, have trouble with physical reactions to iron that defeat the purpose when it makes you barf your food.

Closed Thread