It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Looking for relief with symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
    vjo

vjo HB User
    Looking for relief with symptoms

I was recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. I had been experiencing extreme vertigo/dizziness, weakness, fatigue, etc. It seemed as though the symptoms were getting better, about the time they discovered the anemia, then became worse again. The vertigo & dizziness lasts ALL DAY sometimes and is completely draining my patience. It is extremely difficult to work. Is there something I can do to alleviate the symtoms? I have been on iron supplements for less than a week and read that it may take up to 2-3 months to return to normal. Also, can I expect that these symptoms come and go like this? I will try anything to relieve this dizziness.-vjo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Looking for relief with symptoms

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vjo
    I was recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. I had been experiencing extreme vertigo/dizziness, weakness, fatigue, etc. It seemed as though the symptoms were getting better, about the time they discovered the anemia, then became worse again. The vertigo & dizziness lasts ALL DAY sometimes and is completely draining my patience. It is extremely difficult to work. Is there something I can do to alleviate the symtoms? I have been on iron supplements for less than a week and read that it may take up to 2-3 months to return to normal. Also, can I expect that these symptoms come and go like this? I will try anything to relieve this dizziness.-vjo
    There is not much you can do to contain the dizziness except to get more rest than you think you need, and to drink more water than you feel thirsty for. Increasing the volume of fluid in your body will help some, but mostly its a waiting until the supplement starts to work.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
    ben.franklin
    (male)

ben.franklin HB User
    Re: Looking for relief with symptoms

I'm sort of in the same place - recently diagnosed with anemia, started taking supplements which haven't kicked in as of yet. And hate the symptoms!

I frequently feel short of breath and anxiety throughout the day I guess due to lack of enough oxygen in the blood stream. I dont believe in popping pills since they all have side effects and have been looking for alternatives. What have been working for me are working out (running and weight circuit) and breathing exercises once I do either of these two, Im good for few hours. Also listening to music has been helping to calm my anxiety.

For running, I just go around the block, not pushing myself too hard this restores my deeper breathing. Same goes for weight circuit. The goal is to get the breathing to be fuller and slower increasing oxygen in the blood stream.

I have been frequently waking up after 4-5 hours of sleep, in the middle of the night. At that point I do 10 minutes of breathing exercise and go back to sleep with my body propped up using pillows. The simplest breathing exercise is to sit in one place, breathe out, then breathe in for 3-5 seconds and breathe-out for the same time (3-5 seconds). Repeat this sequence of equal time breathing in and breathing out for 10 minutes.

More complex is to breathe-in, hold for equal time and then breathe out harder to do but more effective. Initially try ratio of (breathe-in) : (breath-hold) : (breathe-out) as 1:1:1. Then work up to 1:2:2 to eventual 1:4:2. Luckily Im used to this and it is really coming out handy. This process again adds oxygen to the system, calms down the mind and helps with the symptoms.

I would love to hear from others as to whats working for them. Also if anyone tries these what the results were. I would be glad to elaborate on breathing excerices if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Closed Thread