It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Surprise to me.. Doc said my red blood cells are small.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
    Surprise to me.. Doc said my red blood cells are small.

I am 20 years old, I recently got a blood test because the dermatologist wanted to see if I was a good canidate for Accutane (acne medication.) The results show that I have small red blood cells. He asked if I had Anemia and/or something else (started with an s.) I was just puzzled and said "I don't know.."

Anyway, I've been losing my hair for a while, is that a result of an iron deficiency? I always thought I was getting TOO much iron. (1-3 centrum pills a day.)

What should I take? vitamin B12 capsules from a pharmacy and foods that have iron? What foods have iron that won't affect Accutane?

Thanks.

Edit: I just read the following link and I've been VERY tired for the past 6-7 years or so. I just figured it was depression but I can never get enough sleep. I feel like I've been awake for 24+ hours only an hour after waking up. Does this have anything to do with my broken blood cells?

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=150278[/url]

There is one thing I forgot to mention that might be important. Before taking the blood test, I spent a few weeks cutting wood. MDF to be exact.. I was breathing in a lot of saw dust for weeks. Did that alter the results?

Last edited by joebloggs2; 04-07-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #2
    ben.franklin
    (male)

ben.franklin HB User
    Re: Surprise to me.. Doc said my red blood cells are small.

One of the synptoms of anemia is smaller red blood cells. Sleep deprivation, tiredness, depression are all symptoms of anemia. If you're anemic, you'll need iron supplement, not 2-3 centrum. By the way - do not take 2-3 centrum, you could overdoes yourself in some of the vitamins and minerals.

Did your dermatologist say that you're anemic? Did he test for iron deficiency? What was your Ferritin number? If you don't have it, you need to see a general physician and get yourself tested for anemia. See a doctor soon.

Last edited by ben.franklin; 04-08-2005 at 01:21 AM.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
    AdnRo
    (female)

AdnRo HB User

PLEASE do not take more than 1 multi vitamin per day!!
    Some vitamins are water soluble, meaning they are flushed out of your body via your urine. These are the B-complex vitamins and vitamin C. However, vitamins A,E,D,K are fat soluble. In your body, these vitamins are stored in fat cells. When you get too much, they can accumulate and cause vitamin toxicity.
    You should definitely follow up with your primary doctor to get checked for anemia. Anemia causes lots of problems.
    PS. It would be smart to wear a mask when you cut wood or have the chance of breathing in small particles. You only get one set of lungs for life...you don't want to mess around with them.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 AM   #4
    LeeRB
    (female)

LeeRB HB User

Are you of mediteranean descent Joe? Italian? You may have what is known as "thallasemia minor". It's a form of anemia whereby your test results will say that you have more red blood cells and on the bottom may be printed, "bizarre, oval, poik".
    Remember that your body does not absorb iron if you have this. It won't kill you to take iron, especially if you follow a more vegan diet. This is a mild form of anemia, whereas African Americans get "sickle cell anemia" which could kill them eventually if both parents have it. Also, if both of your parents have thalassemia, then you would have what is known as "thallasemia major" which is a far more dangerous condition. Just know that if you go for health insurance, that your doctor write down the "cause" of your anemia, or you may be rejected. Don't be alarmed if you have this, there are all kinds of web sites about it.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
    janeellen43
    (female)

janeellen43 HB User

Hi...I am wondering what the DR meant by small??
    Some people have a smaller number of red blood cells...yet larger in size!
    Others have small red blood cells...usually other things will show up on the blood test as well.
    What does you DR intend to do about it?? JE

Old 04-20-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

I believe he meant smaller size, not quantity. He was a dermatologist .He wasn't looking for anemia. He just brushed it off.. I don't think it's that bad actually, but he doesn't know of the symptoms I have (tired, depression, etc) -- I will check with my GP soon.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

I think he meant the mean corpusuol value which means advanced anemia, when you are iron deficient (I think this is how it works) the first thing is you produce normal size blood cells but fewer of them, as the iron deficiency progresses the body makes more of the blood cells but smaller, this is how I understood the doctor when he explained to me about the size of the blood cell. I could be wrong.

RR

Old 01-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Talking Re: Surprise to me.. Doc said my red blood cells are small.

When your dr says your blood cells are "small" (or microcytic in medical terms) that in and of itself doesn't mean all that much. If that value is paired with others below range such as your Hgl and Hct then it can indicate anemia. Often one value in your blood count will be off but others are in range. It is when your Hgl is below range (for women below 11) that the term "anemic" is applied. A LOT of health issues can cause you to be tired, depressed, anxioius, etc. Why not ask for a copy of your blood test and ask them to explain the results. You could ask to speak with the nurse as they are often more patient than the drs! Most forms of anemia are very easily addressed. Some take a while to resolve but after a few months it's almost always better and such a simple matter you'll kick yourself for not addressing it sooner!!

Old 01-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Mine one marked microcytic. The result from 2002 to 2006 as follow:
    MCV, MCH 4 results are highlighted Low.
    RDW 4 results are highlighted High.
    Others are some high and low everywhere.
    No one is bothered or concerned and no treatment to follow. The dr who actually asked for the test said it is "OK"! It means to me "OK"!
    Let me know as well if you find out anything. Thanks.

Pika.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
    little hamster

little hamster HB User

mine is macrocytic.. 100MCV with my RBC counts been at 3.9. My haemoglobin is normal at 13. But my ESR is 60. Would you still see a doctor if you are in my position? I feel tired, anxeity..etc, but sometimes I am afraid they will call it "self-imagined"..etc

Closed Thread