It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Blood results and diagnosed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
    storms_refuge
    (female)

storms_refuge HB User
    Blood results and diagnosed

Hi all:

I saw the hematologist today and was diagnosed as having micro. anemia. My rdw is high and iron, iron sat., ferritin, and hgb is low with a high TIBC. He sdays that because the TIBC is high, it is suggestive of either iron deficiency or blood loss as opposed to AOCD. He is having me get a scope of the upper GI tract to r/o bleeding and putting me on an iron pill. I see him again in 5 weeks. He talked with me about the node. ( he is an oncological hemat.) and he says that while he doesnt not particularly suspect it being lymphoma, he also thinks it is reasonable to biopsy it because of its size and amount of time there. So hopefully, the surgeon will agree and I can get it over with. He says the biopsy should ve easy to do, as it is very superficial and located in the lower cervical neck region. he agrees that the lump in the chest is normal tissue and he feels the lump in neck is a node. He ran B vitamin panel and total throid and antibody workup and sent it out to lab today. Maybe at least my hair will grow back soon, with the iron pills. If the Gi tract is slowly leaking blood and causing the anemia, will the iron still help to raise it? Also if they find a bleeding ulcer or erosion that is leaking blood, what is the standard protocol for treating it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 03:05 AM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Blood results and diagnosed

Quote:
    Originally Posted by storms_refuge
    Hi all:

I saw the hematologist today and was diagnosed as having micro. anemia. My rdw is high and iron, iron sat., ferritin, and hgb is low with a high TIBC. He sdays that because the TIBC is high, it is suggestive of either iron deficiency or blood loss as opposed to AOCD. He is having me get a scope of the upper GI tract to r/o bleeding and putting me on an iron pill. I see him again in 5 weeks. He talked with me about the node. ( he is an oncological hemat.) and he says that while he doesnt not particularly suspect it being lymphoma, he also thinks it is reasonable to biopsy it because of its size and amount of time there. So hopefully, the surgeon will agree and I can get it over with. He says the biopsy should ve easy to do, as it is very superficial and located in the lower cervical neck region. he agrees that the lump in the chest is normal tissue and he feels the lump in neck is a node. He ran B vitamin panel and total throid and antibody workup and sent it out to lab today. Maybe at least my hair will grow back soon, with the iron pills. If the Gi tract is slowly leaking blood and causing the anemia, will the iron still help to raise it? Also if they find a bleeding ulcer or erosion that is leaking blood, what is the standard protocol for treating it?
    If you are in the US, the standard protocol for treating bleeding ulcer is prescribing a prescription strength acid pump inhibitor such as Previd or Nexium. If a culture indicates H.Pylori they will some times prescribe an intravenous antibiotic. Standard instructions on gastric erosions are no alcohol, no smoking, and avoid aspirin or other over the counter medications that have aspirin-like compounds in them. They will tell you to not drink carbonated beverages or coffee. They will also tell you not to let your stomach get completely empty from food for long periods of times. Crackers will help absorb extra acid until the proton pump inhibitor starts to work.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
    storms_refuge
    (female)

storms_refuge HB User

Marimac,
    He did mention the H. Pylori, and the antibiotic. He also said something about taking a tissue sample to see if I had an issue with absorbption or something too. I assume this will be done during the scope. I am a little scared about the whole scope thing, but he says it is really fast once the get the tube inserted.
    He said that among menstrating women ( I am 31), that iron deficiency is usually the cause. But since my numbers have just lately began to go down consistantly, each blood count (without my having had a period in between blood samples drawn), would that seem to lend itself to perhaps blood loss from another source?
    P.S. - Does the PPI type medication, hinder the ability to absorb iron and the B viatims at all?

Last edited by storms_refuge; 04-23-2005 at 10:10 AM.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

It really depends on what the absorption problem is being caused by. The ulcer alone could interfere with vitamin and iron absorption if it is an ulcer. The scope is usually done under a light anesthetic that will keep you from remembering anything that happened.

Closed Thread