It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• high RBC count and anemic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
    brookiebear21
    (female)

brookiebear21 HB User
    Question high RBC count and anemic?

I just got my son's recent bloodwork back from the doctor, and I am confused because most of his levels are the same indicating anemia but his RBC count is high and out of normal range. Is this possible?
    His HCG is low
    MCV very low
    MCH low
    MCHC normal
    RBC high
    Ferritin normal.

My son has just been diagnosed with being incapable of absorbing iron, but can someone explain how he is anemic but his RBC is high? I don't understand how this is possible,
    Thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: high RBC count and anemic?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brookiebear21
    I just got my son's recent bloodwork back from the doctor, and I am confused because most of his levels are the same indicating anemia but his RBC count is high and out of normal range. Is this possible?
    His HCG is low
    MCV very low
    MCH low
    MCHC normal
    RBC high
    Ferritin normal.

My son has just been diagnosed with being incapable of absorbing iron, but can someone explain how he is anemic but his RBC is high? I don't understand how this is possible,
    Thx
    There are cases where the body will over-produce red blood cells, but they are small, poorly formed, and do not accomplish much in the way of oxygenating blood.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
    kristilee
    (female)

kristilee HB User

they are saying I am anemic and i have plenty of red blood cells it's the size.
    Are they looking into the cause with your son. I am older and concerned for my already aged heart. If they are looking at some things I should would like some feedback and ideas. I had a gosh awful colonoscopy yesterday. EWWW

Old 06-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
    Rosnor
    (female)

Rosnor HB User

Hi. I am having to have iron injections (1 a week for 10 weeks). Although my iron count is up from last time (12.6 instead of 10.9) the doctor said my blood cells were 'irritated'. The nurse said that he meant they were not healthy. I too have had to have these awful tests - they are not nice are they? I had them, because I had a high ESR level, which is a blood test they take to find if you have high levels of inflammation in your body. If its high, they will try and find out where in your digestive tract the inflammation is. I have inf. in my small intestine, and this is what was causing the anaemia. My doctor said that if the part of your small intestine that absorbs iron is inflammed, it will not do it effectively, no matter how much you intake. Hence the injections. I have managed to get my ESR down to 31 (from 104 - although its supposed to be lower than 14). Because its lower, my iron count has gone up, but obviously I'm still not in great health, I'm better than before, and on the right path (hopefully!). This may be totally different to your situation, but may offer you some insight(?).

Closed Thread