It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Swelling?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
    liza2
    Veteran

liza2 HB User
    Swelling?

Has anyone had their calfs and ankles swell up randomly from anemia?? Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
    celinenj

celinenj HB User
    Re: Swelling?

Yes!!! What is this??? Please write back. I'm just as confused as you are.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liza2
    Has anyone had their calfs and ankles swell up randomly from anemia?? Help!
    Yes, part of the reason for this is that your body believes it has to conserve fluid because when you have reduced blood cells it also tends to reduce blood volume and the body is trying to keep your blood volume normalized so it holds on to any fluid you may have such as lymph fluids or water. Other causes for swellings may be directly related to the disease that is causing the anemia.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
    liza2
    Veteran

liza2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by celinenj
    Yes!!! What is this??? Please write back. I'm just as confused as you are.
    I haven't had bad swelling in a while ever since i have been getting my iron infusions (Venofer). For the swelling though my dr. gave me some duretics which helped but often made my legs cramp up so i stopped taking them.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
    celinenj

celinenj HB User

I've been taking iron for about a week now along with diuretic (mild) and my swelling is almost completely gone. How have you been feeling lately? I am feeling much better but every once in a while I get light headed and feel a little dazed. Also, at night I have some tightness in my chest but I don't know if that is allergies or plain ole anxiety of this whole thing. I had 2 EKG's that were normal and no history of any heart related conditions and my bp is normal so I am hoping it is just allergies/wheezing or anxiety or I have even read that when you have the anemia the heart does work harder so maybe that is what I am feeling.

I can't believe how bad a person can feel with low iron! I don't wish it on anyone.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
    liza2
    Veteran

liza2 HB User

Oh I feel so much better! I used to not be able to run up the stairs without feeling like i had to pass out, but now i have so much more energy. I only have 4 infusions left and the dr. said i should be completly normal by then, I can't wait!

Old 06-27-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
    hunnibee36
    (female)

hunnibee36 HB User

Yea.....i am not the only one........have had swelling even after being put on lasix.......i am going to have to have an iron supplement given IV and am scared to death. I have been on oral iron supplements for 5 weeks and not doing so great. Hematologist says that thinks that i am not metabolising the iron. Any one else going through this.

I sure am glad that i am not having to go through this alone.

Shannon

Last edited by hunnibee36; 06-27-2005 at 07:56 PM.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
    liza2
    Veteran

liza2 HB User

My Hematologist is always so short with me and doesn't really give me any answers... it makes me so mad! But I have had no swelling since my infusions. Did the lasix work? Keep me in touch with how the iv goes. Oh and were you saying that you are scared to death or or not im confused. Write back!

Old 06-28-2005, 09:13 AM   #9
    hunnibee36
    (female)

hunnibee36 HB User

Scared to death.........yes i am ..........i keep hearing bout all the reactions that can happen. Majority of my family is in the medical field so i am really aprehensive bout it but dang i am tired of feeling like poo. Nope the lasix did not help much.

Shannon

Old 07-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
    liza2
    Veteran

liza2 HB User

Any updates Shannon? How are you feeling?

Old 07-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #11
    hunnibee36
    (female)

hunnibee36 HB User
    Cool Re: Swelling?

Doc called this morning and said that my levels where returning to normal and i would not have to have IV Iron. I now have to go to a cardiologist because of the shortness of breathe and the swelling in legs..... I am feeling better energy wise.

Shannon

Old 07-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #12
    celinenj

celinenj HB User

Hello swelling friends. Well, I was doing well for about a month or iron supplements, but now my swelling is back! I don't know if it's because my body is becoming used to the diuretics and even used to the iron. I have a fe questions for you all if you can help thanks so much.

1) How much iron should I be taking? My doctor (I don't really trust him can you tell?) has prescribed over the counter feosol which has 45 mg of iron. Is this enough for me?

2) I believe the reason I am anemic is due to really heavy menstrual cycles which started the past 6 months. So, should I take this issue up with my obgyn?

3) How do we know for sure that the swelling is anemia related and not heart related? I only get it in one ankle/foot real bad, the other one hardly at all. It's my left foot that swells and it seems to swell up when I have stressful days or can this be my imagination.

How are you all doing? I've been thinking about you all. This really is such a curse to have to live with especially when you have 2 small children. I am pushing so hard every day to keep up with them. Do you think I can ask my doctor about increasing my iron to more than 45mg or could I just do it on my own. I know I can't take too much but how much is enough for me?

Closed Thread