It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia-What's the Cause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
    allen_dave
    (male)

allen_dave HB User
    Anemia-What's the Cause?

My wife (51 yrs old) recently started having stomach pains and heartburn. She went to doctor once last week. He gave her acid-reflux med and ordered new blood tests. Her stomach pain is pretty much gone. She goes to doctor again tomorrow, but we have the new blood tests results now.

Here's abnormal results:
    RBC = 2.89
    HGB = 8.4
    Westergren Sed Rate = 59
    Iron = 21

Here's her normal results from older tests:
    RBC > 5
    HGB > 15
    Westergren Sed Rate - Don't know
    Iron - Don't know

Any ideas? Ulcer a possibilty?

Last edited by allen_dave; 06-14-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
    Shamrock
    (female)

Shamrock HB User
    Re: Anemia-What's the Cause?

It could be an ulcer but I think they'd have to do some more tests to find out exactly what's going on,especially because of the acid reflux. My Hct is 29 and my HgB is 8.8. I have acid reflux and they also suspect an ulcer. I'm having bith an endoscopy and a colonoscopy at the end of the month to rule out any gastrointestinal bleeding. I hope your wife feels better! Good Luck!

Old 06-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
    allen_dave
    (male)

allen_dave HB User

Thanks Shamrock. I forgot to mention her HCT is 25.3 on new blood test and her normal from an older test is 46.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
    hannahbob04
    (female)

hannahbob04 HB User

I have no idea what those numbers mean...but I do know that acid blockers can block essential acid pumps in your stomach that produce the acid needed to help your body digest iron. I have been on prilosec for 2 years and about 10 months ago, I suddenly became very tired and weak and the doc did an iron panel and it was 1/3 of what it should have been. The doc didn't do any further tests to determine the cause of the anemia, just figured it was due to the prilosec. I hope your wife feels better soon and you figure out what's going on.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

HGB sounds pretty low, if it's what I'm thinking it is.

I've been battling anemia unsuccessfully, and since I don't trust doctors to give me all the answers, I've been doing lots of surfing:

Anemia can be caused by iron deficiency, which can be caused by heavy menstrual bleeding, ulcers, hidden rectal bleeding. Selenium, zinc & copper imbalance can be a factor.

Candidiasis can be a factor in anemia too. A lot of people have it (I have it BAD) and a lot of people tend to ignore it because it's SO hard to treat. You have to give up so many foods, and eat a very strict diet, no sugar, all macrobiotic, no wheat, and so forth. I've known that I have it for YEARS, yet it's taken me this long to be ready to buckle down and take the challenge. Before that I wanted my candy, my doughnuts, my comfort foods. Now I just want to be well.

Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas, and now you can do some surfing!

Closed Thread