It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Vitamin B12 and Lack Thereof; Pernicious Anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #1
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User
    Vitamin B12 and Lack Thereof; Pernicious Anemia

Hey All,
    First off, I'm 18 years old, and I have pernicious anemia. I was wondering...am I the only one? I understand that vitamin B12 deficiency is a lot more common in the elderly.
    Secondly, I feel the need to tell someone how my doctor's appointment went. It turns out that my B12 levels from my last blood draw were lower than the first time I was tested for it, before I was having injections.
    So my doc gave me a prescription for the B12 so I can now give myself the injections. I'll give myself the injection weekly for 6 weeks, so they can build my levels up a bit, and then I will only have to have them monthly from then on.
    I must say that it's a lot more convient than having to drive to my doctor's office every time for the injection.
    My doc thought this was best b/c I have an stilling having my chronic migraine/headaches, but nothing compared to what they were. The migraines used to be daily and extremely painful. Now b/c of the injections I've had about an 80% reduction in freq/pain.
    Thanks for listening,
    Natalie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
    sdb
    (female)

sdb HB User
    Re: Vitamin B12 and Lack Thereof; Pernicious Anemia

Nope, you aren't the only one. I have PA too. I have had it since my teen years as well, but was only diagnosed last year...I have iron defiency anemia, which adds another element to the mix, and they also think I may have hemolytic anemia as well. My b12 has not moved into a normal level yet, after being on the injections for nearly six months...I have another appt. with my hemotologist in August. And hopefully we will have more answers then...goodluck to you!!

Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User

Thanks for replying. It's nice to know I'm not alone. How often to you get the injections? I'm sorry you're having trouble getting your b12 levels up. Hopefully your hemotologist will provide you with some insight as to why that is. Hope you feel better.
    Best wishes,
    Natalie

Old 07-06-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
    sdb
    (female)

sdb HB User

I am on the once a month injections now...I was on once a day, then once a week...Now at the once a month time, my b12 is falling below normal within two days of receiving the shot...I am also taking sublingual b12, but it is not working either...I am at a loss about what to do...Maybe my liver is beyond help...I wish I knew what to do...I feel tired ALL the time, my brain is in a constant fog, I am walking into the walls, and I am dehydrated.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User

I'm sorry to hear you feel so horrible. All I can say is that I know how you feel. Why can't you go back to taking the b12 injections weekly? Just out of curiousity, what made your doctors finally decide to test for b12 deficiency?
    Sorry I keep bugging you with questions.
    Natalie

Old 07-06-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I was just wondering- is your deficiency because you don't have intrinsic factor, the chemical in your stomach that digests vitamin B12 or is it because you are unable to absorb B12 in your blood stream because of the anemia? In this case, is the hemoglobin unable to transport B12? Just curious...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User

Hey Gatsby, (that's my all time favorite book, by the way)
    I don't have the intrinsic factor.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:34 AM   #8
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Hey, Mystiq! "The Great Gatsby" is my favorite book- why I chose the name! LOL! Thanks for answering my post. I figured it was a lack of intrinsic factor. I hope that you feel better soon! Good luck and God bless!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
    sdb
    (female)

sdb HB User

They tested me for b12 because they did not know what was wrong with me. They knew my liver was malfunctioning because I was jaundiced and my hemoglobin was a six. The hemotologist ran numerous tests and found that my b12 was not even measurable in my blood stream. I cannot absorb b12 in my stomach which is lack of intrinsic factor...I am wondering as well if my blood is unable to absorb it...Because it is not staying at a normal level...I have been anemic my whole life but never knew why...

Old 07-18-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Pernicious Anemia is not just for the elderly anymore than Arthritis is. My grandmother died from Pernicious anemia when she was 44, I never knew her but it runs in my family, no intrinsic factor, I also have a blood disease that complicates things a bit to. I've been giving myself injections since 97, sometimes my husband does the arms I do the thighs to give the arms a break. It was a couple years before my B12 level got to the low normal level so in some people it takes longer. If I go more than 2 weeks without B12 I drop way below the normal, my neuro calls me a fast dropper.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #11
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User

Why are my migraine/headaches coming back?!!!! I've had a b12 injection once a week for the last three weeks and I seem to be getting worse, not better. And I was doing so well too....*sigh*, and school starts back up in less than a month, plus I'm moving out of my parents home so I can be in walking distance to campus. (It's much easier this way). I don't know what to do. My migraines aren't nearly as bad as they were before the injections, but they were getting better and now they're not. I feel like I'm back to having a headache every day again. I just don't understand. Sorry for rambling on. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Natalie

Closed Thread