It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Pernicious Anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
    rocketsurgeon
    (male)

rocketsurgeon HB User
    Pernicious Anemia?

I'm having problems with my sense of taste as well as sensation. I also get twitches and feel short of breath quite often. Pernicious anemia sounds like it can cause symptoms like these, but last time my b12 level was taken (8 months ago) I had a B12 that was normal. My MCHC level was high, however, and I've read that this can be due to having larger cells caused by pernicious anemia. Is it possible to have pernicious anemia with normal b12 levels?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Pernicious Anemia?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon
    I'm having problems with my sense of taste as well as sensation. I also get twitches and feel short of breath quite often. Pernicious anemia sounds like it can cause symptoms like these, but last time my b12 level was taken (8 months ago) I had a B12 that was normal. My MCHC level was high, however, and I've read that this can be due to having larger cells caused by pernicious anemia. Is it possible to have pernicious anemia with normal b12 levels?
    Yes pernicious anemia is caused by the body's inability to utilize the B-12. It is like having a tank full of gasoline. If the mechanism between the storage tank and the engine is broken, the tank ful of gas is not doing any good.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

When you say your level was "normal", what number was it? The criteria in the US says normal is a fairly low level, which is not really up to date. Do you know what it is?

Mine was 187, and lab values said 200-1,000 was acceptable. The nurse at my Dr.'s office gave me the # and said it was fine! I saw my Dr. and and she started me on shots right away, and later I switched over to Foltx, which so far has kept my level up.

Several countries say anything below 500 is too low.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
    rocketsurgeon
    (male)

rocketsurgeon HB User

It was over 900.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

That sounds like a good number. Did you ask your Dr about the MCHC, and the significance?

Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 AM   #6
    rocketsurgeon
    (male)

rocketsurgeon HB User

The doctor didn't seem all that concerned about the MCHC level. Then again, this was a blood test that was taken about 8 months ago, before I even started learning about pernicious anemia. I need to have another blood test.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
    angelpixie38
    (female)

angelpixie38 HB User

Hi,
    I have pernicious anemia.
    Mine started out with nausea(doc thought ulcer ) then feet started going numb then hands then numbness wnet up to waist. docs didnt know what was going on eccept wbc kept on dropping fast . weakness and alot of blood problems and perment damage if not found . have them do a shillings test. i did alot of research myself and asked the nero my reg doc sent me to if it could be this, and he did the shillings test and it was positive but to late to correct damage done.
    god bless and good luck, pernicious anemia is rare and alot of docs wont check for it. You have to help em out.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
    Trish558
    (female)

Trish558 HB User

"My MCHC level was high"
    Can you please tell me what MCHC is. ??? I'm stuggling with symptoms that match Pernicious Anemia and Thyroid disease which both run in my family. When my B12 was tested last, I was told it was in the normal range. I could not convince them to do a shillings test. I have recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The symptoms of both diseases are much the same. Since taking meds for low Thyroid my labs have improved to what is considered in the normal range, but I still have symptoms. Now I'm back to wondering if Pernicious Anemia may be the cause of my fatigue, foggy head, and tingling sensation in my hands and feet. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #9
    flash67
    (male)

flash67 HB User

Hello rocketsurgeon, could you please describe the twitches and spasms that you are getting? I get similar involuntary movements, and my doctors all think it is anxiety related. Although i am quite anxious i doubt this is the cause. I also have shortness of breath all the time.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
    turl

turl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon
    last time my b12 level was taken (8 months ago) I had a B12 that was normal. My MCHC level was high, however, and I've read that this can be due to having larger cells caused by pernicious anemia. Is it possible to have pernicious anemia with normal b12 levels?
    Is MCHC like MCV (Mean Corpuscle Volume)? Mine was high too, indicating B12 or folate def., so docs checked those and they were normal. B12 was "high", but symptoms continued and I got worse. Methylmalonic acid test (can be serum or urine) revealed my B12 deficiency. Homocysteine testing is also sometimes used to Dx B12 problems. I guess sometimes there's a problem with the "transportation" system in the body where the B12 in the blood doesn't get where it's needed--in the cells/nerves/brain (B12 isn't used in the blood).
    Tab

Closed Thread